Thread: ZA alert !?

Question ZA alert !?

Ex'use me. I posting a newbie question here, but I need an answer.
    I know I'm supposed to go to a whois an' so on. But is there anybody who can tell me what this means...Got it outta ZA just now...

The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (DNS) from 143.248.239.23 (TCP Port 51974) [TCP Flags: S].

Time: 2002-02-19 19:50:00

P-man
    You start to wonder if you really know yourself, when you smell your exkrements...

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    It means that ip 143.248.239.23 tried to access port 51974 on your computer. Probably someone scanning for a trojan back door, but you could probably push the "Tell me more" button, and it will give you more information on what it means.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Here is who owns the net block:

Korea Institute of Technology (NET-KIT-NET2)
    373-1 Kusong-dong, Yusong-gu305-701
    KR

Netname: KIT-NET2
    Netblock: 143.248.0.0 - 143.248.255.255

Coordinator:
    Cheon, Sunghun (SC435-ARIN) staff@mail.kaist.ac.kr
    +82 42 869 2412

Domain System inverse mapping provided by:

NS.KAIST.AC.KR 143.248.1.177
    NS.KAIST.KR.APAN.NET 192.249.24.62

Record last updated on 02-Feb-2001.
    Database last updated on 18-Feb-2002 19:56:12 EDT.

What they are looking for:
    Scanning you for open ports. Or probing certain ports for trojans.

Solution:
    You've already done the right thing by getting a personal firewall. Just get you a good virus scanner and a trojan scanner for some extra protection. Be sure to keep your software patches and virus dat files up to date to ensure maximum protection.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Ok thanks, ...ah, by the way, any suggestions for, and I quote:

...Just get you a good virus scanner and a trojan scanner for some extra protection...

Isn't that what a antivirusprog should do ?? Got InoculateIT personal edition....

P-man
    You start to wonder if you really know yourself, when you smell your exkrements...

looks like someone is trying to use your machine as a valid nameserver. Could be an accidental configuration, in which case it is nothing to worry about. It might also be a scan or probe of some type looking for exploits on DNS servers. Also nothing to worry about unless you have a public DNS box.

Bottom line: No big deal...Don't worry

I am a cracker
    Ex'use me. I posting a newbie question here, but I need an answer.The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (DNS) from 143.248.239.23 (TCP Port 51974) [TCP Flags: S].

lol dude no way your a tripp

Originally posted here by Patteman
    Ok thanks, ...ah, by the way, any suggestions for, and I quote:

...Just get you a good virus scanner and a trojan scanner for some extra protection...

Isn't that what a antivirusprog should do ?? Got InoculateIT personal edition....

P-man
    It's just nice having the extra protection. The virus scanner alone should be fine.

The reason I suggest it, is because the av progy scans for definitions or blueprits if you will. Some also scan for hiuristics (polymorphics etc..)and file size changes. Put most trojan scanners moniter for out going or in comming connections associated with certain trojans. Not much difference. Just something extra to add for protection. It's just a matter of personal choice.

The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Originally posted here by I am a cracker

lol dude no way your a tripp
    I am a cracker:
    Whatcha mean ? Don't understand the last word...could you explain.

P-man