Thread: Windows 2000 Question

Question Windows 2000 Question

A friend called me up the other day. She said she did a fresh install of Windows 2000 on her home PC. When it all was done she said there is a login and she doesn't know what the password is. She wants to know what to do.

Now, I'm not a Windows 2000 expert, but I have done a few installs of Win 2000 Server. I know during the server setup it asks for an admin password. And if you don't remember the admin password, you are screwed and can't login.

So my question is this. Does the setup for Windows 2000 work the same as the setup for Windows 2000 Server, where you set the admin password, and if you forget it you are screwed. Because then I can tell her that she needs to reinstall the OS, and this time REMEMBER what she sets her password to be. I just don't want to go telling her that if I am totally off.

Thanks for any help.
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

If she cant remember the password and its a fresh install I would recomend her to do a reinstall (quickest way). What I know "pro" works the same way as "server" except that you have a option to use "login without ctrl-alt-del password prompt" .

You do not have to reinstall the os,
    You need to find a program that will interogate the SAM (security accounts manager)

It holds all of the logins and password in window 2000 pro(server and advanced server and data center)and NT, its a small file that will fit onto a disk and is linux based.I dont have any links off hand but maby some other people do,
    But Ill take a look if I have time,

Legacy Boy

Banned
    Or a simpler way is tologin as Guest, WIn2k enables the account by default

Nah, you don't have to do that LegacyBoy. Trying to tell her how to do that over the phone would drive both her and I crazy. I think I'll just stick with the re-install. Any other ideas anyone?

ac1dsp3ctrum, that would be awesome if she can do that. Login as Guest... I am assuming it is just a blank password?

That is about as simple as it can get, you could login as a guest but then you do not have any access but the guest account is disabled by default,

So just have to reinstall unfortunatly

LB