Thread: Sans.org releases free SNMP vulnerablity scanner

Sans.org releases free SNMP vulnerablity scanner

email snmptool@sans.org an empty message.

They'll reply with a desc of the tool and send you the url for downloading.
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Thanks. Already found some mis-configured devices. Nice. Greenies for you.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

tks zigar. I'll run this tomorrow and see....
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Is anyone else of the opinion that this SNMP vulnerability is a bit more serious than people are currently treating it?

When you think of all of the Routers, NT Boxes etc on a network that could possibly have SNMP enabled?
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

Nope. There is a reason it's called SIMPLE. You don't get secure until you implement V3. Then you get encryption and authentication.

P.S. If you're not exposed to the internet (no firewall) you won't have a problem. Just block all SNMP from outside. This problem has been around since forever. It's inherent in SNMP and it's been known about (at least by some people) for a long time.

Just keep your security tight and you shouldn't have a problem.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

there's a reason people "intheknow" have changed the acronym from
    Simple Network Management Protocol to

Security? Not My Problem....
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

lol that sounds like bill's favorite motto ...
    assembly.... digital dna ?