Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disable Norton Antivirus?

I am a cracker

Thumbs up Disable Norton Antivirus?

I figured out a way to disable Norton Anti-virus 2001. It's not to hard to do. There is only 2 Steps

1. In the registry (use the REGEDIT), you need change the key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ CurrentControlSet\Services\ Norton Program Scheduler\ Start

Change the value to 0x00000003 -> This disable Norton Start.
    0x00000002-> This enable Norton Start.

2. 2) You can change the "file monitor" too: Inside the file NAVSTART.DAT, in the NAV path... change only

1 (one) byte at offset 43 (hexa) - offset 67 (decimal)....

The value is "00" -> Disable Norton Monitor

"01" -> Enable Norton Monitor

Reg Hacks.....beautiful.....

One question though.....why would you want to disable virus protection?

Ohhh.. you figured it out did you??

Sure you didn't just read it somewhere, and decide to post it?
    somewhere like here?

or (possibly the most damning of them all) here
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Hi mom!
    Do I note a gentle breeze of sarcasm here?
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

A duke nukem avatar. Didn't I see her years ago in the center stage at the garage?......

Ahem. Why do you want to disable your AV? You can have it not start or even uninstall it, so..?
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Thumbs down

its takeing credit for other peoples work and stupid comments that lead to someone like him having over 171 post and only 1 green box... need i say more ?
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

maybe he is 1337 and wants to HaXoR his way in and disable antivirus for that reason... lol. just messing. pretty interesting to know though, even though you can just click disable. but i must concur with matty... strange that those articles say the same thing...
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Now, aside from 'cracker's' blatant copy & paste (with a slight reword) work..

If people read the first link I posted (rather than the 'most damning' *you know that's what interested you most*), you would see that the purposes of disabling Norton 2001 AV are rather limited...

The main reason you would want to, as listed in the first article, is if you were writing a virus.. disabling Norton 2001 would probably be a good ability for your virus to have... I mean, Symantec is a commonly know software company among standard users... so it would be fair to say that many people use 2001.....

Now, a techie reason...
    This one strains it....
    Policies in place... restricting closing of AV software... still have registry access.... AV software is interfering with an install of a required program... need to get rid of AV software for short period of time...

# # # DISCLAIMER # # #
    These statements are hardly straining my imagination.. I could think of lots of reasons to disable an AV.. like this one.. once when trying to update an AV... the AV update was detected by the Scanner as containing virus's.. (lots of them too.. strange that for a definition update..)
    # # # DISCLAIMER # # #
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Hey all (can I say intelligent flamers) I'am a cracker has proven again that he's a cracker or would be cracker (I have no real evidence for the first neither the last), however Matty_Cross has a point.

#include disclaimer.h

haraam77

Talking Antivirus...

I came here to ry and find out if it is possible to temporarily disable an antivirus progrem once it has been installed. Guess the answer is yes......so now, just have to figure out the one I have.