Thread: Mac G3/Cable Router

Mac G3/Cable Router

Not really a security issue but I could use some help. I am currently running (3) Win98SE machines off of a Linksys Cable/DSL router, tied into a cable modem. My oldest son in his infinite wisdom, and in an obvious move to complicate my life as much as possible, bought a Mac G3 running OS 9.1. From what little I know about Macs, they seem to have migrated to TCP/IP with their more recent OS's. Will I be able to just Cat5 out of his NIC and configure his machine normally? My ISP currently assigns IP's automatically and I have set up the router as a DHCP server. Any input or a heads up about possible conflicts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Opinions are like *******s. Everybody has one and everyone thinks everybody else\'s stinks.

Do you have OS X on the G3? It has excellent Networking and will most likely work...

As for OS 9.x, I don't forsee a problem, but you may have to sweat out a couple of hours getting the settings right... but I have not had problem hooking my 9.2.2 Powerbook into my friends Cable Router....but it had a nice little "Mac Compatible" Sticker on it... on the other Hand my DSL will still not work with either my Aiport base station or my router!!!!

Just my lowely experiences...
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

You exemplify why people who haven't used Macs in this century should be beaten when they say "Macs Suck". Not that you said that, it is just obvious that you haven't come accross any recent Macs. (But, I wouldn't doubt that his motivation is to make your life more complicated. . . he is a son).

But yah, Macs use TCP/IP, have for a while now. Don't worry. DHCP is DHCP is DHCP. . . If your DHCP successfully assigns IP's to PCs then it will likely work with Macs. And, the nice thing, is that it will likely just magically work when you plug it in. (Very little set up is needed with out of the box Macs.) Though, if it is a previously owned Mac, make sure that you get both the Install CD, and the Restore CD. Otherwise, you might have problems later.

And jcmcb wasn't joking when he said MacOS X has excellenr networking. It has excellent everything (but then I have it on my machine and am a little biased). I don't know how old your son is, but if he wants to get familiar with a *nix CLI, then I would recommend looking into MacOS X eventually. (If he is eligible for the student discount MacOS X is $79, which is nice compared to $129).

There are some really good resources on the web for Macs of all colors too.

I haven't had any problems connecting my Mac to any network through ethernet. Both my school's overly complicated network, and my friend's simple network consisting of cable modem + router + hub combination. His cable modem is plugged into a D-Link router, which runs NAT and DHCP, and then is pluged into a 5-port 10/100 hub.

Well, I thought I would share my positive experience with cable, I'm confused about your problem, jcmcb. Are you any closer to figuring out what is wrong, or how to work around it?

dhej

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I'll fire that sucker up tonight and see what happens.
    Opinions are like *******s. Everybody has one and everyone thinks everybody else\'s stinks.

I think the problem is with my DSL (my Landladies actually) provider, who have not updated there software since 9.0.1!!!
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

I had a problem with my Powerbook and my Linksys router using DHCP....

For some reason my powerbook running OSX would not get a the DNS server info via DHCP, although it did get an ip address, netmask, and gateway....

Being brand new to the macs, I just set it manually, and forgot about it. But, I did indeed have that problem.

IchNiSah