Thread: Any good books?

Any good books?

If you read my post about the ISA server thing, then you've probably guessed it...I'm kinda new at Firewalls. I was recently informed that our firewall is going to be tested. It has been kind of sitting around gathering dust. So I wanted to make sure it looked nice when the tests came through. So as I'm configuring this, I've realized that I'm not going to be able to 'wing it'. Plus I hate doing things half-assed, and I need to have a better understanding about firewalls, and overall security.
    I am a Network Administrator right now, and havent really done much along the lines of security. I figure if I'm going to keep the title, its essential that I educate myself in the ways of network security!
    So wheres the best place to start? I've been messing around with FW-1 and ISA, but messing around with the app isnt going to help me learn.
    What are some books I should read?
    The testing is going to be done in a week, so I need to be an expert by then ok? j/k

Thanks!

I can't believe i beat mrwall to this one;

Check out Phoneboy's book on Checkpoint:

http://www.phoneboy.com

For an all around high level understanding of network security, I might recommend "managing cisco network security" by Cisco press

actually there are several very good cisco press books as it relates to security

Philosophy is also important in security so i'd recommend 'Information Warfare and Security' by Dorothy E. Denning. I found that book very interesting and that lady is one smart cookie.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Hey thanks! I'll definately check out Phoneboy's book, and I'll take a look at the one you mentioned Korp. Now I got a good place to start....thank guys

SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

try a couple links. Also many books by que press are really tops.

http://www.trustedsystems.com

http://nsa2.www.conxion.com

http://www.cert.org/nav/index_green.html

You can request whitepapers from many security vendors or go to their sites.

Hope this helps.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

I made a compiled a booklist that has some links that might help out here, particular the "Firewalls Complete" in Network Security section. See it here. Hope this helps .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Hey thanks smirc! This looks pretty nice I appreciate it. You to Gold Eagle, thanks for the links.

Listen i have a couple of good books to list .

Phone boy wrote a book you can get it at www.bookpool.com go to the phoneboy web site and get the name also www.secinf.net has alot of great free ebooks on checkpoint and firewalls in general but the best firewall book for begginers is called building internet firewalls by oreilly press at www.oreilly.com ,another good book to read i would whole heartedly recomend is called active defense by sybex.com.

Hope that helps

EvIl
    Ee