Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your job?

Originally posted here by lucktsm
    I am a 35 year old currently unemployed tech dude. I have been an consultant and DBA and for the last 7 years software and services sales. I have had a few years of security services sales and technical presales work. I really like this area. Hopefully, the economy will turn a little better and I will find a decent job soon =)
    Where do you live?

If it is close to the Chicago area or you are willing to relocate, I might be able to help...

webcarnage:

I know where you're commin from. . .I'm just graduatin this year, but I'm not going into CS. . .too unstable for me. Electrical Engineering is the way to go. . .

Oh, and just for the hell of it (since I'm near MIT) the school's really fallen since the 60's. . .too many kids killing themselves. .

I was the IT and telecomunications dude in sunny San Diego, CA. Then move to NY (not the city) and now I'm trying to climb out of the service desk into a Tech billet. Working for a big company is alot different than the smaller company back in San Dog.

How true the normal user can realy get on your nerves. I had a lady call up and state that her coffee cup holder wasn't working any more. I dispatch a tech to try and figure out what she was talking about and low and behold it wasn't a coffee holder that was bad it was her cdrom. The tech said she had a little piece of felt glued right to the tray.

Help my brain is turnning to mush !!!!!!!!!!

I am over the networking, security, licensing, desktop support and telecomm areas.

I want a position like iNViCTuS' job.

I'm .... bored.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Originally posted here by llipschutz
    webcarnage:

I know where you're commin from. . .I'm just graduatin this year, but I'm not going into CS. . .too unstable for me. Electrical Engineering is the way to go. . .

Oh, and just for the hell of it (since I'm near MIT) the school's really fallen since the 60's. . .too many kids killing themselves. .
    I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and i don't think it was worth it for me. I loved networking too much, and electronics just didn't excite me. The job market is about the same for both, but trust me you have to do what you like. Otherwise you will just be miserable.

Yah iNViCTuS. I went the way of electronic engineering but networking got my eye too.

Good advice for others too. Do what you like (love?) and you will like what you do.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

I am a programmer for he US army
    [shadow]l3aDmOnKeY[/shadow]

Hey All,
    I am a tech at a computer repair office called NUTS(Networking Upgrade Technical Support), or you got to be nuts to work here. I am going to school for Cisco and programming now. Well have fun Y'all.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

I'm a 21 year IT Director for a School District. Sounds more important than it is b/c it's a small district. I have to take care of anything that uses electricity. Most common problem "Can't access my files" most common solution "Log in!" I have about just under 500 users (students and faculty) only about 70 are ever loggedon at the same time, and have to support two NT servers, Win95-WinXP workstations, MacOS 7-X (infact there are 2 AppleIIe's in one of the special ed rooms that kids point out colors on... only 6 colors to choose from) and a damn lanier coppier that drops my print services everytime a macintrash prints to it (kills spoolers.exe.. any clues?) I look youner than some of the students so I get flack for that. I have 2 assoc. degrees, one in network administration and one in CISCO networking, and I will be finishing up an assoc. in network security in august. Then I'm out of this town and back to where I'm from (Austin) where I have a job waiting (working part time now... reasearching) as a security director. Can't wait to finaly be done.
    Now ya'll know.
    A squirrel with no nuts will soon starve.

Hey Invictus! What part of Chicago you from? I work in the Nortel building in Schaumburg by Woodfield mall.