Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Telephone Attack

At this stage, I'd like to refer to a post I made in another thread....

Originally posted here by Matty_Cross
    Rioter's got a poltergiest, Rioter's got a poltergiest!!!

That is my usefull contribution to this post...
    Please Change Rioter to Listener, to suit this thread.. I'm too lazy to do so....

Could I be any lazier.. Yes....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

hehe. . .this is true humor.

My parents once had this old phone when I was little that used to ring (well a half a ring) at the same time every night- kinda weird- we never did figure out what it was. I think the phone was just screwy.

My parents once had this old phone when I was little that used to ring (well a half a ring) at the same time every night- kinda weird- we never did figure out what it was. I think the phone was just screwy.

Exclamation Telephone Attack Update

I tried shutting off power to the computer to stop these calls, as was suggested on this board, and unfortunately that didn't work. The calls continue unabated, robbing me of sleep. As for changing phones, this has happened first with my new cordless phone - which I no longer use - and now with my old corded phone.

Some of you seem to think this is funny. All I can say is, I'm not posting this as a joke.

So the question remains: what type of equipment is causing this nightmare? Do any of you have contacts with the police or the military or spyware equipment dealers?

Listener,
    All I have to say is it sounds bogus, completely not legit but it was a good laugh, at your misfortune if it was but, I cannot help you. Sorry.
    \"To follow the path:
    look to the master,
    follow the master,
    walk with the master,
    see through the master,
    become the master.\"
    -Unknown

Possibly

This is a possible senario, do the rings happen at the sametime every night? If so, it may be your CO (central office) running a test called an MLT, I know that in the Bellsouth "yeah! a baby bell" they run the test every night at about midnight-1am. As far as what the actual ringer is, there is a possibility you have a ringer (yeah, just a ringer) that was installed before you owned the house, (some older houses have them).

If it is an MLT being ran, there is nothign you can do to stop it (although it shouldn't make your actual phone ring, but the ringer set wouldn't have the ringer equiv to stop it from ringing).

In this senario you can call ALL the cops you want, the call isn't really a call and will not generate a ANI, and doesn't really have a source for you to trace.

Just as a side note an MLT is called a Multiple Line Test, it is used to test for shorts, high resistence, low resistance, cap and cat balances, and you length of the loop F1 and F2 pairs from your home to the SLC. It is basically a maintence test that allows the telephone company to find a problem before it turns into one.

Just a thought...
    Cheeseball
    http://www25.brinkster.com/cheeseball

-- Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment--

what type of equipment is causing this nightmare?

the only thing that comes to mind is a remote noise eminator, that is it. but that would have to be planted. otherwise there is NOTHING that can make this happen as far as i am aware (and i know alot about this stuff)... otherwise, mayber your walls are thin and it is from another room. are you puter speakers on? if they are it could be magnetic fields reacting with them... other wise i have no ideas

Lightbulb Noises in the Night

Try this out one night, but be VERY, VERY careful, ring voltage can surprise you:

If you have access to the point where the phone lines enter the house, go there and check the box out. This is called the demarcation point, and has a module inside to allow the telco to remote test your line(s). There should be a modular plug just like the ones inside your house, and a pair of terminals with wires attached. Some older units just have the terminals, and there should be a pair for each phone line. Disconnect the line by either unplugging the mod plug, or loosen the terminals slightly and lift the wire(s). If you have more than one phone jack, you may have more than just the one pair of wires. Pay attention to how things are hooked up, and make a drawing if necessary (recommended).

Now go to bed. If you are not wakened by the ring, you know that there is something inside the dwelling that is hooked up to the line. You can try to trace the wires (good luck!) or just reconnect one pair at a time, test the phones to see which jacks work, and label the wires. If you find a pair of wires that don't go to anything, leave them off for now, and see if the phantom ring goes away.

If you are sure you have disconnected your line(s) and the ring still occurs, I will have to scratch my head some more. Are you in a house or condo or townhome or apartment? Is the building old or new or had recent work done? More data is useful.

I think the line test is the most probable, but with the phone unplugged, you shouldn't be able to hear it.

Good luck!
    Ab Hoc Possum Videre Domum Tuum.

from what i understand your saying everything is unplugged from the phone lines, the phone, and the computer. if there is no coneection at all to the outside world and you still here it, i beleive CheeseBall is right there is a ringer built into your house, you should bother the phone company a lot so they will check it out, they are probly running tests on the lines, that or someones running an old war dialer in the area but defintly get the phone company to come check it out. figure out exactly where in the wall its coming from maybe one night decide to stay awake and wait for it. Good Luck, if its condo or apratment check with landlord about ringers installed.
    I know that i may never be all the things that i wanna be, but now is not the time to cry, nows the time to find out why. I wanted more than life could ever grant me.
    We are the people our parents warned us about.