Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI....Oh my!!.....lol

short of shooting your drive or damaging it in one way or another, then they can get virtually anything and everything off of your drive. the only way to make sure that the contents is unrecoverable is to physically damage the drive itself.

But surely when you format your c:/ everything is deleted and teh electrormag is deleted so can tey still retrive files once formatted? if so this could prove useful as i recently formated and lost some work
    Don\'t Get Mad Get Even

But surely when you format your c:/ everything is deleted and teh electrormag is deleted so can tey still retrive files once formatted? if so this could prove useful as i recently formated and lost some work
    Don\'t Get Mad Get Even

Read some interesting thoughts here. Do any of you actually know anything about cops working on computer crime investigation or computer forensics ? What sort of tools are they using or do they develop their own ?

Talking

I was reading an article in a magazine the other day for a program called "Shred 2". It does make for an interesting read. There`s a link for it below. I haven`t used the program yet myself, but it seems impressive.

http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,2997,...=1&ap=2,00.asp

Hope this helps.
    You can only be young once - But you can be immature \"FOREVER\".....

FBI holy ****...... I agree with remote _ access that the computers record everything that you do and that is true but this is a bit of paranoid

Lightbulb

I work for a company, where one of there areas of work includes dealing with other companies hard drives, often with sensitive data on, we first preform a low level format on them, then we have to hit them with a hammer for about 5 - 10mins till the disk surface itself is completly damaged all over. They seem to be happy with handing over there computer/HD's, if we agree to preform the above procedure on them, but i imagine there will be someone with some way out there to recover info on that disks, even when physically damaged. :/

Banned
    Just like RA said, the FBI can find EVERYTHING on your computer if they were to seize your computer but if your worried about this, I recommend rigging some sort of explosive into the case. I don't know how to do this but I read about the feds having to reassemble a computer because a kid wired his computer with explosives and when they seized it, the whole thing blew in the back seat of their car. But if you know you're screwed and you have time I recommend 15000 degrees of heat, I'm pretty sure that would do the trick.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Don't assume a low-level format gets rid of everything because there are data-recovery companies that *specialize* in pulling data off, even after government wipes (which are pretty good). If you wipe a drive with a government wipe, meaning 3 times with 0s followed by 1s or some random string, they can still pull it, at the cost of several several thousand bucks (enough to buy some really nice cars actually). After that pull (which may or may not have everything but pieces), the hard drive is trashed and unusable.

Moral of the story: don't think formats and software wipes you get from Norton or whatever keeps your data from being read if the right methods are used.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Originally posted here by SSATTLER
    Take a look at encase from guidance.
    EnCase is the industry standard for both Law enforcement and the private sector.
    It can look at "any" OS including linux and Mac.
    Check these for the specs:

www.encase.com

Also, echelon3 is right about Norton Wipe Info. Probably the best.

P.S. lucktsm- If ther FBI finds Evidence Eliminator on your computer, they're bound to ask "why"...
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me