Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI....Oh my!!.....lol

Talking

The recovery depends a lot on how you removed the data, and whether you maintain a backup of the partition. The safest method is to encrypt the files that would be searched for and have only a memory cached version you view. A RAM disk is nice for this you decrypt to a RAM disk and us it. When you shutdown..... the information is destroyed. Just remember to keep the encryption keys away from the system.

and here I thought that my info was safe when I trurned off my monitor
    SlackWare my first, Debian my second....building my box into the ultimate weapon

Encase

Take a look at encase from guidance.

Data has been recovered that has been erased and overwritten up to 7 times that I know of and on some drives that have been formatted several times....

So yes.

Check into ontrack data recovery systems.... :

You have to remember who you're talking about here. It's the FBI
    not your local police station. It dosen't matter what encryption you use
    cause I'm sure that they have a key. Even if they didn't how long do you
    really think it would take for the FBI to decrypt the data? It dosen't really
    depend on how you've removed the data cause they'll find it. If you want to
    completely erasy your HD smash it into a million pieces and then burn it. After you've
    burned it hide the ashes.

BTW, I'm not parinoid and I am sure about the everything comment.
    Let's call it being 'cautious'.

Remote_Access_

AntiOnline Jr. Member
    if u format it atleast 7 times thats the government standard.
    they will not be able to find anything except the stuffu overwrote with because when u delete or remove something all you are really deleting is the FAT table so the info u thought u deleted is in perfect condition on the hard drive you just cant get to it without the fdat table unless u back it up.
    but i would format at least 14 times just to be safe.
    NABYLBT hit it pretty good though.

AntiOnline Jr. Member
    oh as far as encryption goes they have the time and the proccessor power to use brute force
    so sorry encrytpion will not save ur ass
    just delay them

That may be the 'standard' but that dosen't mean any thing.
    They have technology in forensics (and other things)
    that we've never even heard about. They always have something
    up their sleves. Yeah, just delete the data eh? Hehe, sure thing.
    It it was me I'd go with my method of destroying the data but
    what ever. It's not my box being poked and proded at.. you'd be
    suprised at what they can do with computer forensics.

Remote_Access_

hell no...15000 degree's?! HA! I **** out hotter feces...

...25000 should do the trick
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

As a Data Recovery Expert I find most freeware shredders are crap. The best one I have come across is Wipe Info in Norton Utilities 2002.

You should see how suprised my friends are at school when I recovery there passwords off their floppy's when they thought that they deleted them for good!

I've never used this virus before but it's called the Hard Drive Killer Pro. It claims to mutilate the hard drive physically. If you want to try it, give me an email (mcgill@dcsi.net.au). I forgot what website I got it from.

the dod standard for file shredding is 7 swipes of random data. remember that wiping a file isn't the same as the whole drive, there's always the slack space, and some operating systems save everything you type in a keyboard buffer. when you close the program you were typing into, it's usually dump the contents of the buffer into the slack space.

if someone were determined enough, it's possible to use an electron microscope to find traces of data on a disc, no matter how many times you've overwritten it.

it's pretty easy to find things like hex editors online. if you're interested, type something into a file like in notepad or something onto a floppy, deleted it, then check out the disc with norton undelete or the hex editor. you'd pry be surprised by what you find.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one