Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help would be greatly appreciated

i've got another tip for you: format your HDD to remove windows, install one of the numerously available linux distros and try using "lynx". this is the best browser i've ever seen. no more problems with slow internet connections or huge graphic bullshit...okay, it's text-based and it cannot display graphics but give it a try...another good browser is w3m...this browser - also text-based - can correctly display tables AND frames...

Micro$oft suxx
    Love your country, but
    never trust its government. -- Robert A. Heinlein

What kind of a suggestion is that Mr Dude? I mean, yeah, completely changing a process (in this case, BERBURT's computer usage) can often avoid an error.. but its better to locate and fix the cause of the error... allowing them to continue with their usual usage..

I understand that people have their operating system preferences.. but posting "Get Rid of Windows, Use This" doesn't help the user....

Oh well, at least you were good about it, and actually gave some proper information on the alternatives available on linux with your post, unlike some of the ones I've seen before....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Originally posted here by Matty_Cross
    Well, for the system slowing down, you may want to increase the size of your page file.. that may help your performance a little bit...

I'm still looking into the IE issue.. I'm pretty certain its a bug, as A> its ignoring the size on your cache.. B> its swelling up to 6GB...

There seems to be a bug, especially with people who recently patched up IE.
    Some people who clear their cache spend 5 minutes waiting on a 1 gigahertz machine.
    Sound weird? it is

Banned
    He asked for help, not your opinion on M$, and BTW go to the Options menu in Internet Explorer, click on Internet Options, then click on the settings button next to the Temporary Internet Files box, then where it says 'Amount of Disk Space to use' drag it down to below 200MB, it should clear it when it reaches 200MB, or at least not store any more pages... On the other hand I have two suggestions for you:
    a) Go here and update your browser to IE 6.0, or
    b) Go here and get Opera 6.0

Steps to increasing your paging file (if you dont know):

Universal instructions, Right click on my computer and click properties, then click on the advanced tab, there should be a button like virtual memmory or performance options, click the button for that... On the windows that opens there should either be a table showing your current paging file size or a place where you can adjust your file size, I would reccomend that your paging file size it at least 5% of your drive size, so if you have a 20gig hard drive make the paging file a minimum of 200mb and a maximum of 400, adjust this to your drive size.... These instructions may differ from version of Window$ to other versions, so be patient... Its there

Hope this helps you out

go check your tab settings on the main page of internet properties and desize the given cache down to 0. hit the delete file, and delete all offline content, then as another suggested, delete *.tmp, then go into explorer and empty all in temp folders.

Hope this helpes. Oh and empty recycle bin then defrag it.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

follow ac1d's post, except, with 64 megs of hard ram, I would not "drive" a 400 mb paging file.
    Keep it to about 2-3 times your installed ram. You will achieve best results with this. Do not let your disk free space to dwindle too little either.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

i'm sorry...my suggestion to remove windows was exaggerated but after my fifth BSOD i was a little bit angry...so here's another hint: i don't think that it helps to create a bigger page file...i would suggest to change the size of the cache...there's a program called "CacheMan" - available at http://www.outertech.com - which will adjust the cache size for you...you can choose between different profiles for your computer...
    Another possibilty to save space is to create a batch file which will delete files like *.tmp *.old *.bak, etc. every time you boot up your computer...you can start this batch file in the "autoexec.bat"...
    Love your country, but
    never trust its government. -- Robert A. Heinlein

AntiOnline Jr. Member
    allright i have changed the browser to 6.0
    i was wrong on my ram its 56MB of ram
    i changed the virtual memory to 200MB
    i have a 10 gig hd
    is there any more info that i have not mentioned
    just let me know
    by the way so far no improvement on the cache