Thread: what can I mix with Norton????

what can I mix with Norton????

i have Norton internet Security/AntiVirus.

i would like to know which, if any, other firewalls would mix well with norton. I have always on internet connection with a static ip and am not sure the best way to protect it.

i have read a few threads and they all talk about routers and such. I have limited funds and would like to know the most cost effective way around my problem.

any advice will be greatly appreciated
    Genius of the mind is not necessarily from the mind of a genius

Well, Norton has it's own firewall........if two Norton products won't play nicely with each other, then who knows what will..........

Of course, that would be a legitamate conclusion about most programs, that they'd play nicely with other programs from the same company. With the exception of Microsoft, naturally.
    Got Root?

This user powered by Linux.

get yourself an entry level hardware firewall/router

linksys
    net gear

and a couple of other all for just over 100 bucks...

an hardware/software combo is always better than one alone...and you have the benefit of being able to hook up extra boxes behind the firewall without paying for an extra ip...most if not all do DHCP and NAT
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Zigar has an excellent solution, but you mentioned you don't want to spend extra bucks, right?

well, do you have some old box in the corner collecting dust?
    like a 80486 or Pentium I, or even a "fast" 80386?

Use this box as a gateway to the net.

What do you need, to do that?

first: the spare box (a 80486 or something like mentioned above)
    second: 2 network cards (or if your modem has USB connection, 1 Network card and USB)
    third: an OS (Windows or Linux)
    fourth: software that does the firewall and router/NAT for you
    this software can be (for windows): sygate home network, Ositis winproxy, winproxy, rideaway, proxy+, ... there are many search the one that suits your needs...
    but remember: if you choose windows you have to keep in mind that the software nor the OS is free and not even stable or good working and that you probably have to use a Pentium box for minimum system requirements.

Better choice is Linux, you can configure the Linux box to act as router on your own...check the IPchains and NET3 howto's or tutorials on this site and on www.linux.org or you can use some prebuild linux config that does everything for you... you can get a linux distro that does the task on a single floppy (1.4 Mb) while windows + antivirus + firewall and router software would need more than 500 MB... there are many linux firewall distro's available on the net, check out www.linux.org . There's one that I can recommend for use with cable or DSL connections trough ethernet, called BBIagent and available from www.BBIagent.net or www.BBIagent.com , the linux distro's almost all work fine with connections based on ethernet (like PPPoE), if you use a modem that connects through USB, you will need to have a box with USB support (offcourse) and search for software and OS that does support connections through USB.

Your setup could look like this:

internet (WAN side) <-----> modem <----> router/firewall box <-----> (LAN side) PC1

Thanx heaps i will try those setups and see what is best for me thans
    Genius of the mind is not necessarily from the mind of a genius

Re: what can I mix with Norton????

I have done this with Sygate.[with Norton Personal Firewall 2001]
    Works fine.
    Just enable 1 firewall in the start-up.
    Good-luck

P.s your defense is good.[no danger,only allerts]
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

For VictorKaum's solution I'd recommend www.clarkconnect.org

They have some simple pre-configured nice lil' firewall NAT, webcache. It's very simple to install and use. Plus they sell dynamic DNS, which is nice for those broadband people on DHCP. It's free.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Rum and Coke mixes well with Nortan
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com