Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: some ckp irritations

Post some ckp irritations

last few years a few things annoy me about this. It seems to have carried over in versions and updates.

When doing a search on time and date sometimes it'll never complete.

When jumping to bottom of active log it will time out (grrr happens often) and give the pop up this has taken longer than expected...

When the log windows hangs or takes a long time once in a while the main gui window will unload in the background.

system has enough ram, swap and cpu etc. Engine on solaris.

Mgmt console on nt or solaris seems no diff.

Anyone else (experienced in ckp) want to add to these or comment?
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

I add that if one adds a host over the license for a small site ckp gets punchy, and the contact your rep message comes up. :-(

I have experienced similar issues, but only when the mgmt console is running on NT/2000. There are many issues with logging that NG is supposed to take care of. I have never had any of these problems on Solaris, but perhaps etsh911 can comment further, as he has seen and/or heard of just about every CP problem possible.

Well, Provide me with more information, I might be able to help...

When jumping to bottom of active log it will time out (grrr happens often) and give the pop up this has taken longer than expected...

AFAIK, that issue has arose on alot of mangment consoles on NT <didn't get such a thing on Solaris befor> .

I suspect that it is a memory problem, CP is <as any other app> a memory hog. But that doesn't mean that it will use all the free-memory space that it has...

On a defualt install, CP only used 10Megs of Ram <from 64Megs to 256Megs> you can change this behaviour and assign a real amount of memory using the fwhwmem command.

Provide us with more info and I think that em and invictus can find a solution to your issues...
    etsh911

ok thks guys. I have changed out the memory for all new chips and had the mboard etc checked as well by our sun var in case it was a hw problem. Added extra hdd for more space, but there is still lots on the "old" one. Koffed the microsoft consoles.

Now on the solaris console even after a reboot (usually blowing out fragged stuff) the logger stills times out when reading. --Just to see if I was nuts, waited for zero traffic through the box and still the logger updating mechanism is iffy.

It's ck41 (2000) and, obviously, someone is going to recommend upping to ng.

I do believe it is a bug within cp. Tell me more about that command to force assign mem to the cp engine.

Well the time for editing expired, so a new post. It seems to happen upon first instance of logger opening and not so much after you close it and reopen.

etsh911 - ideas?

Sorry for my late reply,

Phoneboy has discussed the fwhmem command at http://www.phoneboy.com/faq/0088.html .

It should help with the first part.

About your log viewer,

Try using the 'fw log' command from the console to limit your searches and use the '>' shell operator to redirect output to a file, then load the specific seacrh entries from the GUI.
    That *should* help.

The problem is that CP always has problem in its reporting module and the log viewer.

Tell me if this helps,
    Also, try to check Phoneboy's section on 'Logging and Alerting' at http://www.phoneboy.com/search/wwwwa...q+and+logalert .

Hope this helps,
    etsh911

thks etsh911. I'll post anything out of the ordinary once I try it.

Well, the hell with ckp 41.

I'm going to upgrade to ng.

Really?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson