Thread: Create Flash on Linux?

Post Create Flash on Linux?

Are there any tools available to create projects in Macromedia Flash on linux? I know that there are flash players for linux, but I would like to be able to create projects on linux. Also are there any other good open source graphic design tools other than the gimp?
    Jealousy consumes the weak.
    http://www.badconnections.net

Am afriad after looking at Macromedia's website I couldn't find a mention of a linux version anywhere except for with refrence to a player
    Linux
    · Linux Redhat 6.0 or above (Pentium-based only)
    · Netscape Navigator 4 or later, with standard install defaults
    my only suggestion is you get a windoze emulator for linux and hope that works.....

soz I couldn't be of more help

v_Ln

Ok I heard it works under Wine, not that I tried it myself, but let me fetch some info...
    http://appdb.codeweavers.com/appview.php?appId=23
    Version 5 gets a 3 on 5 score...so maybe with some Windows .Dlls and patience you'll get it to work...maybe..
    As for a replacement to Macromedia's software, I have no idea...
    If your PC is fast enough you might consider vmware, it's quite fast here...

Macromedia do have a plugin for Linux, check out this link:

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/...ernates/#linux

It is supposed to be for Netscape but Konqueror can usually get these plugins to work as well, although I haven't tried doing so on my machine.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

He was asking about ways to create flash on linux, not read it :|
    Also, I just tried Crossover and man does it run Quicktime and Media player wonderfully ! (and shockwave)

Anthony.... Macromedia ynfortunately see linux as an area of computing that is still evolving and therfor are not willing to put the risk of producing prograns for it. Having said that the way they program their applications they should be able to port it over easily enough

Originally posted here by Gepeto
    He was asking about ways to create flash on linux, not read it :|
    Also, I just tried Crossover and man does it run Quicktime and Media player wonderfully ! (and shockwave)
    I concur, but if Macromedia are already offering a Flash player for Linux then that might be a sign that they are also planning/working on a full version of Flash for Linux also. Of course, all this is pure speculation...
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Unfortunately the day we will have Photoshop and Flash available is still a bit far away....the market just isn't there :/

Banned
    Aside from GIMP, you can look into CorelIdraw or CorelDraw. Although I always disagree when people use Linux as a graphic design platform. Linux alone does not offer much in color management and that is one of the issues ADOBE and macromedia don't want to deal with. You could always go for PW using WINE, but then again, you need to have a copy of windows installed in a partition visible to Linux.

My two cents worth!

Macromedia have no version of Flash for Linux, and AFAIK, none is planned (The Linux player works fine, but that's another story)

It may be possible that there are some tools out there to write SWF files out. In particular, there is at least one flash generator look-alike, and I think there may be a php module to generate flash on the fly.

Either way, these tools are intended for programmatic creation of SWFs rather than as human-controlled editors.

I don't know of any tool similar to flash. Maybe you can get an editor for SVGs and then convert them into Flash? (Flash is more common and makes smaller files)

Failing that, buy a Mac and run Macos X - then you almost have Unix and can run Flash too - bit expensive though if you already have another machine.

Cheers
    Mark