Thread: Microsoft preps Windows security scanner

Microsoft preps Windows security scanner

The software will scan Windows for missing patches, weak passwords and other vulnerabilities As part of a push to regain the public trust, Microsoft plans to release a wizard-like program to help home software users and network administrators protect their computer systems from outside attack.

Read more at www.xatrix.org

It's nice to see that MS is attempting to increase their focus on security. Now if they would design an OS that was secure from the start, cost less than $250, was stable, and had all the same user-friendliness, then they would really be worth it. (Like that's ever going to happen in my lifetime)
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

But they're forgetting about the paranoid, such as myself. I doubt that I'd let any M$ software scan any of my boxes.....

MS "Security Scanner"

tee hee nice OxyMoron there MS - Security??!!
    More like a way for MS to ensure constant and regular access to your system and to monitor unlicensed software installations.

Oh - I forgot - they do this all "without sending any information to Microsoft"!

ummmmm - yeaaahhh, right - how do they know what patches you have or do not have without collecting information - your IP, your MAC Addy, MS Installed Base of SW, Versions, updates etc etc?
    If you lived here you\'d be home by now.

They have actualy had this service for NT, 2000, and XP for some time. They have offered it as an online scan with the scan engine provided by Shavlik. They have sent several notice's thru subscription services via Tech Net about a full featured downloadable version being released soon for all Win32 platforms.

You can go here for the scan and fixes:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/mpsa/start.asp
    You can go here to see what Shavlik has been up to in regards to the development:
    http://www.shavlik.com/press.asp

So as you can see. It's not actualy MS behind the technology, only the service. So it should be a nice security suite when made for download since it's from a third party vendor.
    <Fingers crossed>
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

if people would just update their systems they would be a little bit better off

I don't think many Windows users who use their PCs only for e-mail, netsurfing, or music jukebox use this new scan, 'cuz they don't care or they don't even know it...
    Can I get out of this prison?
    Can I stay this prison forever?

Re: MS "Security Scanner"

Originally posted here by haknwak
    tee hee nice OxyMoron there MS - Security??!!
    Oh - I forgot - they do this all "without sending any information to Microsoft"!

ummmmm - yeaaahhh, right - how do they know what patches you have or do not have without collecting information - your IP, your MAC Addy, MS Installed Base of SW, Versions, updates etc etc?
    You're browser (IE) downloads an Activex which downloads a list of patches from windowsupdate then the activex compares the patches you already have installed and the ones you don't have (in the list)... Not rocket science...

Ammo