Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dual boot

I have to pc's that are dual boot right now... a win98/mandrake & a winXP/slack (my baby!) running right now...

In ever occasion that I have setup a dual boot, I have installed windows first. THEN, let the linux installation proggie OR fdisk (*nix version) do my partitioning. After this, I install/setup LILO and I have had NO problems yet... The only exception is NT, if you want to dual boot NT (I did it awhile ago), it's a pain in the ass... or at least it was when I did it a couple years ago!

Recomendations: Read every text file that comes with your flav of *nix, can't stress that enuff. 9.9/10 it's in the doc's!! You can find out the best way to dual boot yer pc & versions of OS's within the doc's... don't make others look-up werk for ya, check the doc's first!!!

And fer god's sake, get another flav... (then red splat
    \"One thing only I know, and that is that I know nothing\" - Myself (s0crates!)

I'm using win98 and and Red Hat 7.2. Though I haven't tried installing XP, here's what I do for 98/Red Hat dual boot.

1. Make one or more partitions for windows by fdisk. (don't forget to leave a room for Linux)
    2. Install Windows for the partition u made.
    3. Set the first bootable device to CD-ROM via BIOS and insert Red Hat CD.
    4. Make partitions for Linux (swap, /, /boot, /home, or etc).
    5. Set path of the windows partition to "/mnt/win..." in order to access windows' partition
    from the Linux.
    6. Install GRUB for MBR.
    7. Install Linux

I hope it's gonna be some help.
    Can I get out of this prison?
    Can I stay this prison forever?

Heh, I just set up a dual boot system no less than an hour ago...linux is interesting, it'll take me a while to learn all the details though.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla nĂ¡ engwar.