Thread: A typical night on the internet...

A typical night on the internet...

Here follows what happened to me last night, although it's a pretty normal scene:

1) Come home from work, and log on with my POWERFUL 56K Modem. (Oh, yeah! Dialup is the way to go... hah!)
    2) Check the threads on AntiOnline, and see what new negative points I've received (I'm just not that popular nowadays)
    3) Play several games of StarCraft with my clan buddies, which we win. (Not bragging - just the truth.)
    4) Finish up, and check my firewall - find one lamer who's terminal identifies itself as NicRules trying to find an open trojan port on my system.
    5) Open system scanner, and scan his comp, which doesn't bother to disguise itself in the least.
    6) Watch all of his details disappear from my firewall as he scrambles for the reset button, realizing that as a poor scr1pt k1dd13 he's in real trouble - not that he actually is, all I'm doing is scanning his system, but he doesn't know that

I think that the scr1pt k1dd13s are sort of cute when they do things like this

SSJVegeta-Sei

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

TechieChick
    It's always cracked me up that something as simple as a ping can cause a...shall we say...less knowlegable person, to run for cover...chances are he was screaming about the injustice of getting hacked and will tell his little (not so) l33t buddies that he managed to save the day all thanks to his vast skills.

I'd consider myself skilled, too, if I were a scr1pt k1dd13 that posessed the ability to press the "reset" button.

SSJVegeta-Sei

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

I myself am perpetually amused at what comes up in my logs.......I seem to get a lot of attempts by various MS-specific worms. 's a good thing that I run a Linux box.......
    Got Root?

This user powered by Linux.

sounds very similar to my average day, except that after work and checking my negatives on ao, i play unreal tournament. i dont know why. i just love that game more than any other. maybe its the matrix moves mod. cant wait until the second one comes out.

unreal kicks ass.........
    unreal is the god of FPS... in my mind
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

I just reinstalled windows, and before I can play games, I need to get the sodding CD-ROM drives to use protected mode drivers..urggh!
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

Smile

Yeah, I seem to get a lot of "sub/seven trojan" alerts from my firewall. I usually (time permitting) give them a port scan just to keep them honest. But just to show what a computer newbie I am, let me ask a question: If my firewall has all my ports stealthed (supposedly rendering my box invisible), how do they know where to aim their connection attempts? If they can't see my ports, how do they know where to try a connection? Or is the alert I'm getting from my firewall just from their sub/seven scanner looking for a target? Thanks.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

preacherman, the short answer is that they don't really know wether or not you're there. Script kiddies download a block of ip addresses, then use another scrip to try various ports on those addresses. In many cases, they don't even know what they're hacking.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.