Thread: Htnl 4.01

Htnl 4.01

Hey all

Has anyone tried to get their website validated?

http://validator.w3.org

It's quite strict..

But a better web starts with you...
    Or do you want to go back to the times when you couldn't access a file written on a different system.
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

AO French Antique News Whore

I did!

I try and after hour of error! I did get it!
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/p.tremblay45/

The Site is in French about a Hockey Fantasy League but you may to check the XHTML Code.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Yar i dont mean to sound negative or anything but i did try those validation sites and well, perhaps i was to lazy to go through all the errors. I figured that if my site works on opera, explorer, netscape then thats good enough for me....i did change a little.....

but hmmm i did just get all the browsers and then see what was what with each one..

I'm not knocking the vali sites i'm just sayng some errors are like nit picky...and no need..

but that was my experience...

The validators on the web cosortiums site are to test your site for compliance to html4 These donot help if you use old HTMl or a mix. If it works fine in all browsers then you dont need to change a thing!! Although I would say to make sure you have alt attributes for all pictures. Dont stick with the frontpage auto ones as they arent very helpfull. Remem,ber that these alt attributes are used by page readers for death ppl. Make them descriptive and informative

For validators from the W3C you have to comply with very strict standards, because the W3C are the ones who lay down the rules in the first place!

Make sure you have a <doctype> declaration at the top of each HTML page to specify the version of HTML/XML you are using, and also ensure that you specify the language encoding used for the document (you need to look at a dedicated site such as HTML Help to find out how to do this, but once it's done the same code can be used in every page you create).
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Check out Jakob Nielsens site http://www.useit.com for hints on usable web designs. He's considered to be one of the greats when it comes to designing usable pages. His rules are very strict, and he don't allow for much fun. But but you'll get fast, easy to use pages.
    ---
    proactive

Originally posted here by proactive
    Check out Jakob Nielsens site http://www.useit.com for hints on usable web designs. He's considered to be one of the greats when it comes to designing usable pages. His rules are very strict, and he don't allow for much fun. But but you'll get fast, easy to use pages.
    Jakob does has some very good ideas, however I think he goes a bit OTT sometimes and is very contraversial, especially when he talks about making money on the internet (particulary advertising). His basic principles should be applied to every site on the net (short downloads, easy to use pages, proper navigation etc.) but if everyone followed his rules to the letter the web would be very boring indeed.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.