Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total noob here

Check out the tutorials section here at AO, it should answer most of your immediate questions. This site is very good reference for your endeavor.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

welcome to ao potato,

there is a lot to read and should help:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=133897

cheers,
    the only thing that doesn\'t change is everything will always change.

Your journey starts here potato where it ends or even if it will ever who knows, and who cares as long as its fun along the way

v_Ln

Thanks for the info y'all, I can now start my journey
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you\'re a mile away and you have their shoes.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

You might also want to check out http://blacksun.box.sk

There are some very good tutorials there.

I preffer Ciphers my self.... I'm not very good at it, but it's really interessting.... but don't take my word 4 it.... You'll find what you need....
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

I also recommend (as already previously discussed) checking out sites such as:
    HackYourself
    Port Scanning

These won't ensure that you're fully secure, but it's a start...

Also, I would recommend Mandrake linux, simply because it has a built in disk partitioner, that way you need not do any work....it fixes your partitions for you

Also, if you said you want to get comfortable with windows first---DON'T!!!!!---See the problem with so many people is that they go to windows..get comfortable and fear learning once again. They would rather be comfortable with windows, instead of "getting" comfortable with linux.
    If you have any linux questions, of course there is google....but feel free to ask. Those who love it, will love to answer them

take care, and good luck on your journeys....
    SlackWare my first, Debian my second....building my box into the ultimate weapon

Is there any way i can test out linux without partitioning or changing my current OS?

Also , i wanted to find out about the design aspect of computers, and since i read that linux doesnt support images i thought it be best to stick to windows
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you\'re a mile away and you have their shoes.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm unsure of what you mean by images...if you disk images, yes it supports them. If you mean computer 'pictures', such as jpgs, etc... than yes it's fine

if you have 1.5 GB free, than I would throw on Mandrake...you'll notice it's very easy to install, and easy to use. You'll have all of the luxuries of windows, but yet get to experiment with linux.

second: you wouldn't have to change the OS, it would be installed on a separate partition that Mandrake makes from your free space, but partitioning is a must.

However, go to LINUXISO and look for linux distros that run under windows. I don't recommend them, but you wouldn't have to change anything on your OS. ( I know one is call phat linux)
    SlackWare my first, Debian my second....building my box into the ultimate weapon