Thread: MS DOS: Netstat

MS DOS: Netstat

When running a netstat -a in DOS to check connection what does Loopback mean? Also, if there is a strange IP address that MS DOS reports as Estblished and no info can be found about it thru somethihng liek neotrace and pings dont come bac, is this something to worry about?

for loopback, use a google search on it , or the other threads here ( iknow i saw it somewhere i'm too lazy to search for it right now)
    for the rest jsut post the output of your netstat and delete your ip addresse (just in case)...
    also explore the -a -n of netstat
    assembly.... digital dna ?

I think you mean the loopbackaddress 127.0.0.1?
    If so, that specific address is used to make a connection to your own IP without you need to know what your IP is. I believe it ha it's use for tests and software.

I hope it's worth something, but to be sure, run some searches and find out more 'bout it.

Grtz,

sparkant.

Local address Foreign Address State
    2170 Loopback 2171 Established
    2171 Loopback 2170 Establisihed

Apparently there's a loop-backed connection present on your system. Your PC is connected to itself from port 2170 to port 2171, thus creating a loopback. Why this loopback is existent, I cannot guess. Try to install a firewall and check it again?

Grtz,

sparkant

According to IANA, 2170 and 2171 are unassigned ports:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

so it is a weird loopback connection.

Let us know what you find.

Cheers,

BrainStop

PS = The IANA is the Internet Assigned Number Authority which is responsible for such things as port assignment for the Internet Protocol