Thread: NFS problem ...

Question NFS problem ...

I had construed a little home LAN, I'd like to use NFS for share my files, well I have exported part of server's FS, but when I try to mount FS on client I have this msg error:
    [root@pos1 etc]# mount /mnt/database
    mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
    I have configured server's firewall with a GUI and I have choosed medium level of security (close all ports 0 -> 1023). Well, NFS use port 2049 (TCP?), right?
    What is the problem?
    Thanks.
    What is essential is invisible
    to the eye ...
    ]ØÐÖ§|-|Å

Just Another Geek
    NFS uses UDP.

What OS's are you using here?
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

NFS: (from /etc/services)
    nfsd 2049/udp nfs # NFS server daemon (clts)
    nfsd 2049/tcp nfs # NFS server daemon (cots)

However, with that being said, I think that you have to also allow RPC (on sun that would be udp/111) so that it can find the right RPC info (if you do an rpcinfo -p <hostip>, you should see NFS listed). With that being said, you better be blocking those protocols at your gateway, they are hideously dangerous (IMHO not much better than Netbios).

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)