Thread: well

Banned

well

hey
    their isnt much to do with macs on this page so ive taken it upon my self to keep the mac users with news,info etc so if u check back hopefully everyday their will be new software or somthing so if people could help me in this i would be gratefull
    RiOtEr

Banned

basic mac info please read

well the first thing u need in a mac security is a firewall of course
    http://www.sustworks.com/site/downlo...ml#IPNetSentry
    is probably the best as for ease of use as it is not a firewall such but like tripwire if u have heard of it?
    but it sits their listning to ports and when some one trips the "wire" closes the port and blocks accses your computer from their ip for a set period of time

for all those os x ppl their is
    http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/

u might be saying but os x has a built in firewall yes it does but this just helps make it easier to configure the one that comes with it

norten also has one for mac weither or not its negood i dont know as ive never used it if some one has used it could pm me and ill shove it in
    but from what ive seen looks easy to set up and use so could be worth the download.?

auditing

their are 2 great programs for mac one is free and the other is about 15 us
    one is mac pork 3.0

the other is
    macanalyst

they both have an impresive list of features but mac analyist is alot better for ease ofuse as its commercial etc
    they hqave simple telnet clients vunrability scanning etc

mac pork is avalible at
    www.team2600.com
    and
    mac analyst at http://www.macanalysis.com/

if u have a spare 15 bucks definatly worht the buy

linux for mac is a bit sparce but its their

linuxppc.org
    its pretty good but lacking a bit

probably the best option is yellowdog
    found at yellowdoglinux.com
    pretty good as linux goes worth the download if you want a linux client

ive heard their is suse for mac i havent seen it but im probably just not looking hard lol so if u like suse u probably can find it around

the 1337est tool of all btw im joking
    is also avalibe for download at www.team2600.com
    yes its sub7 ported by the cabable crew at team2600
    they have also a great list of tools
    including
    nail mail - anon email and mail bomber
    proxybouncer - connect things that dont have a proxy option to a proxy like irc etc

on the topic of irc
    the best client is Ircle 3.0.4
    lacking a few options and its a bit hard to get used to but when u do ull learn to luve it

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...lst-7-1.914029

its the only place i could find to download it atm so hmmm

virus protection isnt to crucial cause of the lack of mac virii they are their so be carful

norton and mcafee both have mac version so u can get them f rom their respective pages

theirs also a great list here
    http://macos.about.com/library/tp/aatp_antivirus.htm

well thats it i hope this has been of use to you
    http://freaky.staticusers.net/
    this page has a lot of software and a cd u can buy if neone does buy it can u tell me if its worth it
    thanks
    RiOtEr

Well, you seem to know your Mac's, so I guess I'll throw this question at you. I was just talking to my friend who's getting a new PC. He is obviously going for a Wintel package - he things it's the only option! Well, I told him to get AMD, cheaper and just as good I believe, but he doesn't want to. He also didn't want a Mac either, cos he says it's not-compatible with anything.

Anyways, cutting a long story short, I just basically want to know, is it so incompatible with everything as it was years ago? What are the major incompatibility issues? I'm sure you'd be able to view Word documents and other MS Office stuff on Mac's, etc. Isn't there an MS Office for Mac's anyway?

So I told him compatibility won't really be an issue, not for what he is gonna use it for anyways, which is basically internet use, general office stuff, bit of programming and playing games.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Banned
    compatability was a big issue its not as such nemore as many companies are realising software for mac now and yes their is a office for mac
    programming we have one of the best compilers their is codewarrior i luc it its easy to use and powerfull internet use for some reason i connect faster on my mac than neother computer in the house?! wierd but neway the only place a mac is let down is networking but if its a new mac they will use tcp/ip as it will come with os x as it is now standered on all macs
    most games are coming out for mac now UT quake 3 etc so your friend should be safe hehe
    hopes thats some help?
    RiOtEr

Yeah, thanks for that info - very usefull to me.

Just wondering, what do you prefer personally, Mac or PC and what's the main reason for your answer?

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Unhappy

omg!! i cant believe i cried watching the ending of the movie "Ghost"!!
    tears were falling down ma cheek and next thing i knew i was balling my eyes out
    it has a very touching ending.. u guys should watch it..

Banned
    s0nic your just a women no one else cries hehe

hot_ice
    it really depends on what im doing i have a mac and a pc in my room so yeah but if im doing web design graphics i prefer my mac its just faster at things like that oh and coding i use my mac cause i luuuuuv codewarrior hehe
    so my answer is it depends on what im doing
    RiOtEr

hehe, RiOtEr, I was thinking about doing much the same thing, but you beat me too it. And you did a good job at it too.

If you are using the buillt in firewall I would recommend BrickHouse from RiOtEr's link to
    http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/ . I have tried both it and Firewalk, and I think that Brickhouse is better for me. I just found another one called Impasse, looks interesting, (you can find it on http://www.versiontracker.com )
    But, I really think using the command line to config the firewall. But BrickHouse a really good expert mode to make sure everything is clean and pretty.

Don't forget that MacOS X has a port scanner in the Network Utility app. But then you can also probably get a better portscanner to compile in the CLI.

CodeWarrior is nice, but it is really expensive. Apple's Project Builder is good too, and it is free. (But, I do have both...)

I can't believe that there are people out there that still think Macs can't run Word, Excell, or PowerPoint, or think that the files aren't cross compatible. For a while there Macs couldn't but since Office 98 Macs have been in the real world, and it has only gotten better, Office 2001 was a really good improvement, and Office X is beautiful, but it still has that fricking Office Assistant aka Clippy, or that darn MacClassic that bops about... grrr.

But, who would ever think that one could open up a CLI on a Mac and program in vi. vi of all things, on a Mac. That is the least user friendly program in, though for some reason I have a sick fascination with it.

I don't know about Ircle, but for IRC I much prefer BitchX. Which works in both MacOS 9 and MacOS X. For 9 the GUI is decent, but in X you have to like the command line. I even found a BitchX for OS X as a package file, so that all you have to do is double click, or you can download the source and compile it.

Good idea, RiOtEr.
    cheers,
    dhej

Banned
    bitchx for os 9 never seen it hehe oh well yeah i did leave of the name sorry hehe
    and i got antipoints for that thread heheh macs come on people its an os and a good one at that dont flame me for my os choose i think that i probably have more skill that you if you still flame people for their os of choose btw im writing this in linux so get over it ppl
    thanks
    RiOtEr