Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recylce Bin Icon

Recylce Bin Icon

My recycle bin icom on the desktop is showing empty but the folder one in the explorer is always showing full

i can't seem to change the icon. i used the shell32.dll to change it but that didn't seem to work.

does anybody had this problem before or does anyone know how to fix it.

I haven't had that problem before, but I had something like it...

What would happen with my computer everyonce in a while (30min or so, or when I run MSVC++5.0) is that the icons would become the unknown file type icons. Normally refreshing the desktop would fix this... But sometimes, the icons will be that of another program... Something happens, and my txt files look like a folder icon, and my zip files look like a pdf file, or one of the other hundreds of registered file types avaliable on my computer... To fix that, I'd just reboot my computer, or log out and log back in, and the icons would be back in their original state... Maybe restarting your computer will fix it (for a short time), but I'm not too sure...

-Tim_axe

Well, that Recycle Bin icon doesn't work on my computer when I reboot the system into Safe Mode. Maybe you should download some of your drivers from the Microsoft website (backup your old ones) and see if it works again.
    Don't know if that helps though.

I have a very simular problem. My desktop icon says that my bin is full but when I look in the bin it's either empty or it's full but I cannot select of even see the files. The only way I can get rid of them is if I select empty bin. Help please...
    -Krakpype
    Fight the Power!

logging in/out and restarting etc haven't worked with me.. is there some way through registry?

Krakpype - The files are probably hidden. Goto (Win98) View, Folder-Options, and Select Show All Files...

ihsir - You should beable to change the icon by right clicking on your desktop, and going to properties. Goto the Effects tab, and it shows some of the main desktop icons, and allows you to change them, and mess with other stuff. It might be helpful if we knew if your recycle bin is acturally full or not... I haven't been able to find the recycle bin icon anywhere else on my computer, so I think you are talking about windows explorer (directory tree on one side)... The icon should be the same, because they are on my computer... Personally, I like the full icon better on my recycle bin... Also, you can bypass sending stuff the the recycle bin, and just delete it by using the key combination [Shift] + [Del], or right click the file, press shift, and click delete... Hope the desktop way to change the icon helps...

-Tim_axe

Edit: I've done a quick search, and I don't know of a way through the registery. The only way I know of is through the Effects Tab on the screen properties...

Also try looking at the property's of the recy bin. You can configure the option to your need. If the desktop is showng one thing and the file is showing another it could be spaned to a different drive.

Sometimes it will hang up so to speak. Create a .txt file on your desktop. Then open it and type a couple of lines of garbage. Then save it back to the desktop. Then delete it to the recycle bin and then right click on the bin and select empty. Sometimes this fixes it.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

If the INFO file is damaged or deleted, no files appear in the Recycle Bin. However, the renamed files still exist in the Recycled folder. Even though the files in the Recycled folder have been renamed, they are not changed in any other way. For example, a text file is still viewable as a text file. To restore such a file, you can manually search for the file in the folder and rename it.

If the INFO file is deleted, it is re-created when you restart Windows. If the Recycle Bin becomes damaged and stops functioning, deleting the hidden INFO file in the Recycle folder and restarting Windows may enable you to again access files in the Recycle Bin. The INFO file is a hidden file. To delete the INFO file follow these steps:

Open a command prompt window

Type cd recycled

Type attrib -h inf*

Type del info

hey, i found a reg way of doing it..

search for shell32.dll,32 whereever the key is DefaultIcon change the 32 to 31.

31 is empty rec bin icon
    32 is full rec bin icon.

relogin and its all ok

BUT can anybody clarify is this correct thing to do or not??

{P²P}Apocalypse : i had done that temp file thing but it didn't work this time, yeah usually it does.