Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: most newbeist question ever?

Ok.........'couple of things. NetSyn and Mr.Dos, kindly don't go arguing on IRC. 'makes the channel less pleasant for those of us who actually want to talk about useful things.

Secondly, 'last I checked, the official version of Java was made by Sun Microsystems, which has no affiliation with Microsoft whatsoever.
    Got Root?

This user powered by Linux.

ezactly

Thats what i though...got a lil confused, orginaly wasn't microsoft not going to put the java vm in xp becouse of some fues or something with sun, but they later decide to put it in?

A girl I know asked me how to fix her cupholder on her computer. Now I have never heard of a computer having a cupholder. So I went to her house to look at it. It turned out that she thought her cd-rom drive was a cupholder.
    Hmmmm that has to be one of the oldest computer related Urban legends ever

in answer to the question (I ain't going to get into a debate on whats hacking and whats not, am just going to assume you mean gaining unauthorised access to anothers computer) then I think there is a way that java could help with - Am nearly sure that using java you can download something to a persons comp and run it - so in theory it could be used to d/load a backdoor trojan on to a comp and help gain access that way......

well I think I read about that somewhere anyways

v_Ln

well

Thats just like any other lauage u can use C, peral, java, basic or pretty much any lauage to write a torjan or a virus, I think what they were debating if in the virual machine was there a bug or hole or something
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

kinda sounds like when my ADVANCED PLACEMENT computer science course got switched over from C++ to Java Script....
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

maybe

maybe I think i get what ur saying
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

Antionline Herpetologist
    First, you can hack in java because as KublaiKhan said, hacking is just pushing technology to it's limit. However, you can also crack in java. There are a few possible ways in which you can do this:
    1) Exploit a hole in the VM (already been said)
    2) Run your java program locally. i.e. write a standalone app and get someone to run it outside their browser.
    3) Fool someone into changing their policy file to allow full access rights to remote programs (ie applets).
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Talking Great

I think that was the best explanation yet.