Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unauthorized port access

Question unauthorized port access

Thank you for taking the time to review and respond to this post,

Okay on occasion I have notice unathorized port access on a couple of my ports. Instead of pulling my power cord to my cable modem, is there anything else I could do.

Thanks Again,
    Bearbizket

You will need to grab yourself a personal firewall and take the time to understand how Firewalls work. As a misconfigured firewall is no better than having no firewall.

Go to www.webattack.com and download a freebie.

Sygate and Tiny are pretty good ones.
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

better yet go to astalavista and get a program called outpost its the best IDS /firewall you can get.

Just curious. Which ports are you talking about, and how do you know it was unauthorized access? Did you get a firewall alert? Are you running a firewall now?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

I hate to be pedantic, but it is probably best not to confuse the newbies between FWs and an IDS. They are 2 totally different things.
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

I agree with ya Soggy, let's just let him do what he should and read up a bit on protection before any details are thrown.

It's called Agnitum Outpost and it's available at www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/
    If you really think it's a threat you can also purchace a hardware based firewall for your cable.

Remote_Access_

thanks for replying... it is appreciated. And not to turn this into a flame session, I am a noob. I have black ice registered version. I do a lot netstats because i am paranoid. So of the foreign i addresses have nothing to do with what i am doing. I have also been getting alot of ICMP Storms . And just came across a ICMP flood. But if I do happen a crossed a unathorized user what can i do.
    Thanks for the replies and info,
    Bearbizket

You have to keep in mind that a firewall doesnt CLOSE ports on your machine, it simply blocks them from incoming/outgoing traffic. Simply block incoming ICMP packets on your firewall and you need not worry anymore.

But as I said, installing a firewall is worthless if you dont know how to configure it properly. In my opinion, read up heavily on TCP/IP, Firewalls and Protocols etc.
    SoggyBottom.

thank for the info SoggyBottoms. I will look into it?