Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello all.....

Cool Hello all.....

What's up AO people? I have chosen this site because of the intelligent people(for the most part) that come here. I have seen many sites that are full of lame posts and nothing there to learn. This seams to be a great place to start. I have read many posts from here before....and I have heard that Linux is better than Windows by far. Is this Linux a free thing? Where can I get it? Also, for the time being, how can I make Windows 98 better? Lol....yup...spoken like a true newbie. Thanks

Linux is free.

Depends on what distribution you want. ftp.redhat.com for the RedHat distro

Mandrake is also one.
    SuSe is another. There are many and more than enough opinions about which is best.

There's always FreeBSD/OpenBSD, but I wouldn't recommend that for a newbie right off.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Here's th exact address of the RedHat distro.

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.2/en/iso/i386/

They are in .iso format so you need to burn them from the images first. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Peace.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

aww and i came here looking for a newbie to flame : (

well u can download most distro's of linux freely or have a CD sent to you for a small price of the CD ;x

i dont like when people jump right into using linux not knowing crap about it and only going to use it cause of what others have said about it. Linux is always refered by the newbies as the OS to hack things which like most things newbies say is ignorant he said she said crap.

read up on linux before you even attempt to use it or ull find urself lost in a dark forest. i suggest starting with mandrake because i feel it is probly the easiest to learn from.

_NetSyN_
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

Smile thanx

KorpDeath: thank you for the link I will check it out.

NetSyn: I will also take your advice and learn all I can about Linux before attempting to use it. I am just looking to make my computer more secure and I hear that Linux is more secure than Windows. Thanx

Actually, the OS you know the best is the most secure. With equal amounts of knowledge, perhaps linux would be as secure, perhaps not. Unless you're running a server, or are being specificaly targeted by an attack, a personal firewall should be plenty. As for linux, I would recomend trying out ZipSlack at www.slackware.com It'll give you a good intro, and help show you some stuff about linux.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla nĂ¡ engwar.

Welcome to AO, ajnabee. If you need any books or tutorials, just ask me. I have a decent library.

Smile hmmm

Sounds good, but exactly what kind of books...info...do you have? Send me a pm if you would rather do that. Thank you

You can get download most of the major distros of Linux from here. .

Mandrake is probably the easiest to install for a newbie to Linux but overall IMHO Redhat is the best distro available (also there is more info to be found about Redhat than any other type).

So I think your best bet would be to install Mandrake, get familiar with Linux and then install Redhat.
    If you don\'t learn the rules nobody can accuse of cheating.

Unhappy wow

WTF??!!?? Someone sent me some negative points for this post and called me an "asskissing scriptkiddie"......lol. And, the coward didn't even sign it to let me know who it was. Hmmm..must have been a real skript kiddie, emotionally disturbed individual. Asskissing??...lol...I don't think so....but, I do give credit where credit is due.