Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP, wininit.ini

i did all the cleanup i could find. i just ran a complete virus scan in DOS with virus definitions taken off another computer that has no probs and it didnt find anything. is there a file that is needed for the wininit.ini to work, like wininit.exe?
    Jeff

im thinking that maybe some file that is needed got deleted by goner. any help is appreciated.
    Jeff

Is there a reason you don't want to just re-install?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

TechieChick
    I have to agree with KorpDeath, while the hunt is half the fun in virus removal a lot of time has been wasted on a system that seems to be mission critical. I'd format that baby and re-image or reload.whatever is available to you there.

Yeah thats true guys, that was the only other option i could think of, but my boss does not want to have to reinstall all his stuff. but if there is no other option, he will have no problem with it. Just so you guys know, as of now it is not an immediate problem and i have time to solve it, another reason for not just reinstalling, as the problem only arrises when you try to install a program that requires rebooting and adds the wininit.ini file and the program i had trouble installing becuase of this was IE6.0 but i manually installed the files required myself and it worked perfect. I greatly appreciate the help you guys gave me, but i think there HAS to be another solution or something. i remember reading somewhere about a wininit.exe, and there is NO wininit.exe on that computer. Again, thanks for your help.
    Jeff