Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ad Free Internet - Hosts.txt

Ad Free Internet - Hosts

So I have been getting extremely pissed off lately at internet advertising companies like doubleclick that always have their information stealing ads flashing in my face. So I started doing some research on how to get rid of these damn ads.

I came across a nice page that sums up how to use the hosts file to stop these ads from loading. I'm sure there are others who would like to know how to do this, so I am posting the link here. Enjoy.

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~atman/spam/adblock.shtml
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

good info ty
    hmmm can't try it out due to access restrictions on comp but will bear it mind for later

v_Ln

Very good post.. thanks

(um.. just wanted to point out that the hosts file doesn't have a .txt extension or any extention for that matter)

Thanks for the info. If anyone can't use this, there is another way to block a lot of ads. Go to the SpyBlocker web site. You can download SpyBlocker and install in on your box. It will block many ads, neutralize web bugs (another nefarious device used to compromise your privacy), and keep any spyware on your computer from phoning home. I think it also blocks third party cookies too. It's freeware. Just put "SpyBlocker" in a search engine and you should find the page.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Thanks for the info. If anyone can't use this, there is another way to block a lot of ads. Go to the SpyBlocker web site. You can download SpyBlocker and install in on your box. It will block many ads, neutralize web bugs (another nefarious device used to compromise your privacy), and keep any spyware on your computer from phoning home. I think it also blocks third party cookies too. It's freeware. Just put "SpyBlocker" in a search engine and you should find the page.
    Exactly, great post Jared_C, but there are literally hundreds upon thousands of "ad-killers" out there that are freeware. Not saying that this way is wrong, or incorrect somehow...it's just that, most people couldn't give a rat's ass to change their host file, and make entries in an IE profile... Just my 0.02 cents.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Ad Subtract pro isn't a bad little product either. I remember a news story at AO (when we had such things) saying that we'll all have to start paying for free services like email if everyone continues to use ad blocking software......LOL....I think it was quoting Kevin from that spawn of Satan company, DoubleClick......

Some personal Fws have this ad blocking feature included. You can customize what you want blocked like advertisements, banners etc....
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

very good i was looking for this!

The Proxomitron all the way, baby. The ultimate webpage filter, you can make your own custom changes (I was viewing the AO forums with those little post-gradient bars before they were added, for instance), as well as having a block-list of sites. You can stop blinking text, screen out annoying code and plugins, or put in your own HTML code... all BEFORE it gets to your browser.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

When I want to be free of Internet advertising, I view the world through my Off By One v. 3.2 browser. This tiny bit of freeware doesn't support Java, so no ads.
    It can be downloaded at:
    http://offbyone.com/