windows and BMW's! Bad idea?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows and BMW's! Bad idea?

Exclamation windows and BMW's! Bad idea?

I just read this story here and couldn't but post about it.

Will Beemers be crashing all over the place for no apparent reason, or will the car produce errors when its started, will microsoft try to get a monopoly on every component put into the cars (brakes made by microsoft! not good) .

Me thinks that James Bond should change his car, or else when he is trying to catch the latest international terrorist he jumps into his Z3 (or is it Z8) turns on the ignition and hears "Please wait while windows searchs for missing files", and meanwhile his new arch-nemisis is making a clean getaway.
    If you don\'t learn the rules nobody can accuse of cheating.

Banned
    Not to bash your post or offend anyone but you people have the tendency to rant against Microsoft all the time while 90% of the AO users run Windows on their dekstop PC`s.
    If you think a BMW running windows is crazy then what about your home computer?

Flash M0nkey
    My prob with m$ is that lone coders writing usually just for the fun of it rather than profit can usualy turn out better progs with less bugs than m$ does with all their billions of $$$ backing and thousands of staff

v_Ln

I ment this post to be a bit of light relief, not to be taken too seriously.
    Sorry if I offended anyone.
    If you don\'t learn the rules nobody can accuse of cheating.

Thumbs up

On the serious side, cars do have computers,
    and the number of functions monitored or
    controlled by them is growing.

If I'm not mistaken, there is at least one model
    that has replaced the physical link between
    accelerator pedal and engine with an electronically
    operated servo.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Perhaps now those threads on "if msoft made cars" are less amusing....

Software is already on planes, including theirs, so ---
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

My prob with m$ is that lone coders writing usually just for the fun of it rather than profit can usualy turn out better progs with less bugs than m$ does with all their billions of $$$ backing and thousands of staff
    not that i like microsoft, but... i think that the programmers that work there are good. the screening process alone is insane. these lone coders you speak of are prolly not writing complex operating systems. and even if they are, they are not working with insane production deadlines. it is not the coders fault, it is the management. plus as for the quality (gui and such, not bug content) that is also decided by management, not the coders. they are given criteria and do as they are told. don't blame the programmers.

Banned
    Itīs not the tech department that is to blame, they donīt have **** to say @ Microsoft itīs the marketing department that decides everything. MS wants to market their products so they sell better.
    Look at windows 95, the only reason they didnīt put any security features whas because marketing whas affraid that people would think that running win 95 whas too hard.
    If MS had implemented encryption and a firewall in win 95 then it could have been a better product then it turned out to be.
    MS has many talented hackers working for them and Bill Gates used to be one in his old days too, they just turened greedy.

Cars and computer software...hmmm, I think it could be either a big sensation or a real fizzer. It all depends on how the public first view it. If Microsoft end up doing some software for BMW (as stated in the article) and it turns out buggy and has problems and the public hears about it, it could bring the whole thing to a big halt (that's not saying it's all over). If it all goes smoothly and there a many benefits and people see these benefits, then I think it could be a big hit.

Whichever it is, I think it's gonna happen, whether it happens quick, with the public liking it, or slowly, with the public first doubting it, but then getting it forced onto them with advertising and the amazingly fast evolution of technology.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

exactly focmaester.

just a note... i like the term lone coder... it makes it sound all cowboy-esque. like spcae cowboy... or cyber samuria. lol
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda