Thread: DNS in XP

Angry DNS in XP

whats up guys?? having a little problem here.. i have an SMC 4 Port Broadband Router which workgroups two pcs. they are both running XP Pro. One PC can access the internet fine. The other PC cannot. I figured out that there's something wrong with my DNS. I can ping my friends PC but and my router but I cannot access my router's setup menu or even go online to internet/aim. Anybody have any ideas??

thanks

-Sirex-

Well if you can ping to an outside address then you're effectively on the internet, I would suggest making sure the pc is sending requests to a valid DNS server.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

Talking DNS...

Well, the PC is sending requests to Optimum Online's DNS Servers. I use the DNS that is given from them. Its weird man.. One pc works fine and the other doesn't... I'm thinking something might have gone bad with XP.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    It works from one PC, but not the other?

The one that doesn't work....are you able to ping anything? Can you ping the one that works? What about something outside your LAN, ie...www.yahoo.com? It sounds like your Gateway isn't set properly in the one that isn't working.

I haven't used XP yet (by choice), so I am not sure exactly where it is set at. You could probably remove the card and reinstall it, but that would be a pain in the ass. Look around the network setttings for that card, and look for something called gateway. Make sure it is the same as the one on the machine that works. It sounds like your computer doesn't realize it has to go through the router to get to the internet..
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

can you surf by IP address to a website?
    http://www25.brinkster.com/cheeseball

-- Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment--

Talking

nah the gateway is fine. I can ping the router and i can ping outside IPs. I just can't type the website and connect. i'm pretty sure its something with DNS but i dunno what...

Go in command prompt with cmd.exe and type nslookup www.yahoo.com .if you dont see the resolution in an ip adress than go to your network settings in that computer and put a fixed dns (don t let dhcp to give you the dns ) you have to log on that computer with an admin account.

i hope this helps you .

let us know more.
    If God had intended
    Man to program,
    we would be born
    with serial I/O ports.

Does your router provide DHCP? If it does you need to go into your "administrative tools", "services" and kill DHCP in XP Pro. It enables by default and sometimes won't disable when handed off to a router. Try to reset the router, then do a release/renew on your XP box. If DHCP is running on XP and the router, well it makes a mess of things....put very simple.
    Hope this helps.....
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Almost forgot. If you use the uplink port to connect to your cable or dsl it will disable port 1 or 0 depending on brand. So move it to another port and see if it will have a go at it.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.