Thread: The next insecurity area?

The next insecurity area?

Here's a nice article from PCAdvisor about the effect that Outlook running on mobile phones could have:

Outlook on phones likely to boost viruses

All the friends in your phone number list could thus get called by a virus?

Cheers,

BrainStop

I was just about to post to this thread about this but you beat me to it,... oh well.

Anyway, does anybody know any company on the stock exchange that sells anti-virus software for mobiles cause I've got a feeling their stock might just sky rocket in the not too distant future.
    If you don\'t learn the rules nobody can accuse of cheating.

Banned
    antivirus for phone think about it its not the phones problem its yet another ms problem a good company to invest in would be a security companiy that fixes mses problems
    RiOtEr

Yes but on any computer that has anti-virus software it is nearly always the software on the computer that is attacked and not the machine itself so anti-virus on a phone should do the same job of protecting vulnerable software.
    If you don\'t learn the rules nobody can accuse of cheating.

Eternaly optimism

Vodafone spokesman Don Pointon says the WAP security standard WTLS (wireless transport layer security) covers all WAP transmissions and text messages are incapable of delivering viruses.
    [sarcasm] Well look, a spokesperson form a mobile phone company that has a vested interest in here is assuring us of the security of this technology, well I will take his word on it I feel so safe now, I mean the phone and mobile phone networks have never been exploited before have they [/sarcasm]

I’m sure that someone out there has either worked out a way of exploiting, transmitting virii over the mobile phone networks if they have not yet I’m sure they will soon. I mean look at this site, we are all here ((perhaps with some exceptions)) to learn and keep up to date with the issues of security, I sure we will be seeing more on this subject.

Kindred69
    ForeverLearning

Re: Eternaly optimism

Originally posted here by Kindred69

[sarcasm] I mean the phone and mobile phone networks have never been exploited before have they [/sarcasm]

I’m sure that someone out there has either worked out a way of exploiting, transmitting virii over the mobile phone networks if they have not yet I’m sure they will soon. I mean look at this site, we are all here ((perhaps with some exceptions)) to learn and keep up to date with the issues of security, I sure we will be seeing more on this subject.

Kindred69
    Well...someone already has, a mobile phone virus that when opened, basically locks the entire phone until the battery is removed and replaced, it may not be exactly sophisticated, and it was never sent out in the wild, but with self replicating technology, that sent itsself to everyone in the phone book, it could spread so easily. The virus worked by exploiting a hole in the way phones send ring tones (see, they ARE evil) to each other and was relatively simple to make. Sorry i cant remeber the site that i got it from, but if i find it i wioll post it.
    There\'s no sense in being Pessimistic...it would never work anyway.

i think that f secure sells some soft for hand held as well as trend micro...
    assembly.... digital dna ?