Food for thought

Thread: Food for thought

Question Food for thought

OK, I just got this email that really interests me. I'm can't guarantee that it's true, but if it is...wow...you just never know. I'm sure you may have seen this before, but if you haven't, it's interesting.

Question 1:

If you knew a woman who was pregnant, who had 8 kids already, three who were deaf, two who were blind, one mentally challenged, and she had syphilis; would you recommend that she have an abortion?

Read the next question before looking at the next post for the answer of this one.

Question 2:

It is time to elect a new world leader, and your vote counts. Here are the facts about the three leading candidates:

*Candidate A: Associates with crooked politicians, and consults with astrologists. He's had two mistresses. He also chain smokes and drinks 8 to 10 martinis a day.

*Candidate B: He was kicked out of office twice, sleeps until noon, used opium in college and drinks a quart of whisky every evening.

*Candidate C: He is a decorated war hero. He's a vegetarian, doesn't smoke, drinks an occasional beer and hasn't had any extramarital affairs.

Which of these candidates would be your choice?

Decide first, no peeking at the answer! ...then look at the next post for the answer (hidden post)

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Arrow

Candidate A is Franklin D. Roosevelt
    Candidate B is Winston Churchill
    Candidate C is Adolph Hitler

And by the way, the answer to the abortion question: If you said yes, you just killed Beethoven.

Pretty interesting isn't it? Makes a person think before judging someone.

And remember, amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Greg
    -- William Forrester

interesting post hot_ice. But um, hitler in the beer hall debacle and eva braun, I suppose that came after he was elected. Gotta use wisdom when we decide who will lead us.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Hmmm... I would have elected Chruchill and let Beethoven live.
    Maybe I should actually vote from now on.
    If you don\'t learn the rules nobody can accuse of cheating.

I'm not sure about the baby one, but tell me in todays world if you had those canditates up for election now, canditate C wouldn't get elected by like 90% of the votes. Canditates A and B wouldn't even be considred by some voters. Usually you think yeah, it'll work out good, but, you never know...

Greg
    -- William Forrester

The bottom line is we as voters are given precious little to go on when selecting leaders.
    good post - I hope more read it.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

The bottom line is we as voters are given precious little to go on when selecting leaders.
    That's exactly true. The bad thing about this is, there could be something very little, for example, G. Bush once went to a pub at age 25 and got drunk and got kicked out of the place, that will be blown out of proportion. The opposition will be pushing this topic and making voters believe that he is a drunk and cannot control his anger, etc.

Voters have to think about what details are important and what details are floating around getting blown up, but really being unimportant to the big picture.

The last federal election in America was damn close, what would America (or the world even) be like if Gore got elected? Would it be a different place? Would there be great significant change to what is going on now? How would he have reacted to the terror attacks and what action would he have taken?

If we could only read into the future and predict these things, but we cannot (hell, if we could, Bin Laden would have been dead years ago). You just gotta pick who you thing will serve the people better and hope you were right. These million dollar election campaigns mostly contain information that just gets in the way and plays with your mind, putting a cloud over what you really think.

Greg
    -- William Forrester

I'm not sure about the baby one, but tell me in todays world if you had those canditates up for election now, canditate C wouldn't get elected by like 90% of the votes. Canditates A and B wouldn't even be considred by some voters. Usually you think yeah, it'll work out good, but, you never know...
    Then again, candidates are, at least in europe, normally elected by their political actions and not their private life or sins in the past.

Nevertheless it is a very good post and it gets you thinking.

Besides, wasn't Hitler in jail for a while after WW1?

cheers,
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

Talking

Originally posted here by hot_ice
    The last federal election in America was damn close, what would America (or the world even) be like if Gore got elected? Would it be a different place? Would there be great significant change to what is going on now? How would he have reacted to the terror attacks and what action would he have taken?
    Gore did'nt even carry his home state. I live here and would never have nor did I vote for him. He's a good talker and thats about it. His track record in Tennessee is horrible. So this don't turn into to some kind of debate, here is an example. You can be in the middle of nowhere down in middle TN (Gore's locality) on a back country road, and all of a sudden here is this big 4 lane divided highway costing several million serving nobody but the contractors that built it. Got to East TN though and we have kids in the hills with no electricity nor running water that still use an outhouse. Now thats what is not fair. To judge a candidate, look at his record in his home state and how the people of that state react to him/her. Then you'll know. Don't look and see if he is a Democrat or Republican (parties mean nothing to me), look at the person and evaluate cautiosly.

Anyway, Nice post very interesting stuff.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Originally posted here by {PP}Apocalypse

... You can be in the middle of nowhere down in middle TN (Gore's locality) on a back country road, and all of a sudden here is this big 4 lane divided highway costing several million serving nobody but the contractors that built it. ...
    Isn't that the case with most American politicians? From my time in the US, that's what I understand are all the riders on spending bills ... blowing budgets out of proportion.

It's like National airport in DC having all these flights to far-flung small towns just because some senator likes to have a direct flight from DC back to his home town.

I will give credit for the transparancy of the system though ... you know where the bucks go.

Politics everywhere are loaded with examples of people fighting for their hometurf, be it a state, a country or a region ... even development aid (from most countries) works that way. One example I know of is country X (which shall remain nameless for the purpose of this example) which was giving aid to an African country. The project was supposed to buy bicycles. It could either buy 100 Chinese bicycles or, for the same amount of money, 50 bicycles from country X .... where do you think the money went? Right, back to X's own industry.

Anyway, I won't rant about this any longer ....

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule