Thread: Hackers are the best hope for the free world

Smile Hackers are the best hope for the free world

According to Byte, hackers are the best hope for the free world as you can read in this article by Shannon Cochran:

Spooks in the Machine

Quoting from it:

As far as I can tell, the best hope for the free world lies in the hands of a tribe of passionate computer programmers. These are the people who brought us PGP and GNU/Linux; they are the ones who dedicate their considerable reserves of wit and skill to circumventing the brutish impositions of the censors
    Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

Good article... makes ya feel all warm inside. LOL
    A squirrel with no nuts will soon starve.

/me gives thumbs up to free speach

without the freedom to express ourselves we are slaves to society...a society in which we have no input, no regulation. A society too which we fell no connection and no obligation. Free speach is not just a right it is a means through which we can attain a feeling of personnal freedom.

v_Ln

hackers and security experts will be the last thing to hold out most likly.... the way things are going, wil lall the talk about much needed security and such... gives methe feeling that the security gurus will have a bt more controll over the world then we think...
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

Yeah well, to wield any real power you need to get organized and speak as one. Do I hear anyone wanting to organize security professionals into a union?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Interesting article, I would have to say that I agree with it....free speach is something that should be available to all and never questioned....period.

I particularly liked this quote:
    Where the system is broken, fix it. Where the laws are unjust, expose them. Where the censors are working, route around them.
    ...words to live by!
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

Think about it! A Cybersociety in the near future might be put under complete control of government who will hold the power in it's hands, and only the few, and the best will be able to resist. Kind of a Steel Rat character comes to my mind...
    [glowpurple]Terrible end is better than endless terror! [/glowpurple]