Thread: 802.11b

I know this may be old but it's important so I'm posting it. If any of you run 802.11 keep this article in mind

I definitely like the part which says:

Stretch pants are a good thing, but some people should not be allowed to wear them. Wireless configurations are no different; some people just have no business being responsible for the deployment of a wireless network
    Good one!

"To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

Yeah if your aren't going to use a VPN don't deploy wireless.

On my drive in yesterday I set up my laptop with a wireless NIC just to see if anyone was using wireless near the freeway. What I found horrified me. I could connect to about 200 wireless access points. I could use about 3/4 of them to browse the web with NO authentication. None.

How do you like them apples???
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Sounds like fun... I gotta get me a laptop! I guess you could call that a "wireless beige box".
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...