homeless hackers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: homeless hackers

Lightbulb homeless hackers

I found this artical on wired.com and found it interesting. I homless man who is a hacker and in his spare time looks for hole in company's web sites. The artical has a good view point and a lot of insitefull information about what a true hacker is. He holds true to the pricable by not accepting any money from the company's after he notifes thiem of thier problems. I would like to know what everyone else thinks about this artical. And about what the quato below.

"To such barbs, Oxblood Ruffian, a veteran of the hacker group Cult of the Dead Cow, replied, "It's like dancing. Anyone can dance. But not many people can dance like Michael Jackson."

Lamo's latest move: using a back door in The New York Times' intranet to snag the home phone numbers of over 3,000 Op-Ed contributors, including Vint Cerf, Warren Beatty and Rush Limbaugh.

Although Lamo (pronounced LAHM-oh) did nothing more mischievous with the information than include himself in its roster of experts, the Times is considering pressing charges, according to spokeswoman Christine Mohan. Hacking is a federal crime, currently punishable by five years in jail.

Prison would be an ironic twist for Lamo -- it'd be the first time in years he would have a steady place to stay."

Also I would like to know why someone has not offered to hire this insitefull man.
    LATER-

I've heard about this guy before. Interesting fellow. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets locked up though. Hacking is evil, even if you do it morally remember? ::: sarcasm :::
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

Flash M0nkey
    The Times are thinking of pressing charges??? They should be thanking him for makin them aware of a very dangerous hole in their security!!

v_Ln

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Also I would like to know why someone has not offered to hire this insitefull man.
    You said it yourself:
    He holds true to the pricable by not accepting any money
    Gotta love the way our society works. Help with security, go to jail. Its kinda like the Samartin clause that is in a lot of states. If someone is dying, and you help them, but that person still suffers injuries, the person who help them can be sued for injuring that person. Remember that the next time someone is choking, and you are considering doing the himelick manuver.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

souleman, he didn't except money for a reward, but he was not offered a job. I do agree with you logic though. At least I think that is what the artical said.
    LATER-

Originally posted here by valhallen
    The Times are thinking of pressing charges??? They should be thanking him for makin them aware of a very dangerous hole in their security!!

v_Ln
    My guess is some higher up at the times is embarssed that the system was vulnerable. This person has egg on his face and rather then sucking it up and admitting security was not perfect this person is pushing for prosecution. I think the times would be wise not to prosecute.

Cheers,
    -D

Hey all,
    just wondering. What computer was he using to do this? The library?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

preacherman481, in the artical it talked about a laptop he would use. "At times the only thing dry I owned was my laptop". It also spoke of him using public lines to connect to the web.
    LATER-

Originally posted here by valhallen

v_Ln
    My guess is some higher up at the times is embarssed that the system was vulnerable. This person has egg on his face and rather then sucking it up and admitting security was not perfect this person is pushing for prosecution. I think the times would be wise not to prosecute.

Cheers,
    -D

I am surprised they are pressing charges....I mean against a homeless guy who stole nothing?!??! Damn thats low...
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....