Thread: Select box

oblio

Select box

Hi I am in need of help. One of my clients uses Netscape 4.7 exclusively on their intranet. I have to populate a select box based on oracle db records, I do just this fine in JSP and when I view source in the web browser, all the data is there. I know this because there are a bunch of

" document.input.Product.options[document.input.Product.options.length] = new Option('10 Year Term','8');

document.input.Product.options[document.input.Product.options.length] = new Option('20 Year Term','21'); "

in my javascript function. The select box gets loaded fine in MSIE 5, Netscape 6 but in Netscape 4.7, it does not load at first. All the data is there as I have said, just not loading into the select box. The weirdest part though, is if you click the back button and then the forward button, the data is loaded perfectly into the select box. I am not usually programming for the web so I am not aware of any JS differences for such actions.

Ninja Code Monkey
    hmm...my first question is why are you filling the select box on the client side and does it really need to be done there?
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

oblio
    in html and javascript, all data is loaded on the client's side.

the data however is retrieved on the server's side

Ninja Code Monkey
    What I mean is, can't you load/write the select box on the server side and then send it to the client? Doing work that that client side is a pain with users having old browsers, turning javascript off, etc. If there is no real need to do it client side, I wouldn't do it there.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X