Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heeeellllpppp Meeeeee!!!

Exclamation Heeeellllpppp Meeeeee!!!

Okay, I need serious virus help...I have been infected with the W32.Nimda.enc virus....I have it out of most of my files, but I have two that are read only files....both of them README.EML files....what do I do to get rid of them?
    It came from a hotmail account last night.

Please tell me how to change these files so I can delete them.... I know this is a newbie question, I am a newbie....Please don't flame, just help!!!
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

You can download the Nimda removal tool here. That should get rid of those files for you....

firstly...whenever you post...give us as much info as you can...like what OS you are running...

but to change a file from read only in win...

right click, properties, uncheck attributes read only box...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

From the NAI website.

Please note Virusscan and Netshield products will detect and remove the virus and the associated files the virus affects. It will NOT remove the network shares or the guest account created by W32/Nimda@MM.

Users that would like to have these changes removed automatically can use the AVERT NimdaScan (current version 2.0) program located on the AVERT Tools Page. Please follow the instructions in the README.TXT when using the program.

www.nai.com
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

The virus also adds network share that are open to anyone so you need to take care of those too, unless of course you want anyone to connect to your drives. What's your IP? hehehehe. j/k
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Talking

Haha Korp Death...lol
    Thanks guys, I am working on it...I appreciate all the (quick) feedback!

I'm running Win ME....prolly should have thought to tell you that, but was in the middle of panic, and po'ed!

I think I can get it now, between all of you!

Thanx a million!
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Question Nimda and hotmail

I recieved the Nimda virus as well via hotmail. I recognized it for what it was immediately, but even when I tried to actually actively download it, hotmail refused to let me. (On a box I intended to rebuild soon with Linux, I'm not that stupid.) Is this now a new version that's out?

Once you get rid of the virus, remember to scan attachments before you download. Or just don't download them at all. (Much more recommended). If you have the cash, I would recommend getting an anti-viral scanner and leaving it running in the background. I only have experience myself with Norton and McAfee, my favorite being Norton. It works well IMHO as long as you keep it updated.

-Keisha
    www.notinourname.net
    www.nion.us

Read them.

Remember to disable system restore.....

Unhappy

Actually, I didn't download anything from my hotmail account last night(which is when the files were created). I only got two emails on that account, so I have a pretty good idea where it came from...not that I think it was intentional...it's just doing what it was supposed to do....spread through email.
    And I have Mcafee running in the background all the time....it just popped up all of a sudden tonight. When I was reading up on it (trying to find out what kind of cooties I had!!) it says it has been known to stay dormant for up to ten days....but what I want to know is if I had Mcafee running, and only opened and read the email....How the heck did this happen?

Thanks again!

try getting a second free virus scanner incase a dat killer was also attached