Thread: Disappearing X

Disappearing X

Hi All,

I have have executed something and lost the ablity to close most windows using the X in the upper right corner (its greyed out). All m$ products cannot be closed w/a single click. Ultra Edit can be. Not sure what I did to cause this problem. I have faced it in the past (solution is a reboot).

My speculation is that I have a dll that needs to be upgraded (or rolled back). Does anyone have any thoughts on the patch I need to add or remove? NT 4 sp5 ie 5.5 128 encryption, visual studio 6 sp 4 or 5 (not sure). Corporate Desktop policy does not support upgrading to sp6 for NT.

Thanks,
    -D

I'll tell you what you have everyone here stumped. But if you do find out what the problem is would you be so kind as to post it to this site. Thanks. I'm really interested in what happened......
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

My speculation is that it involves the MFC dlls. Not sure which one
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Further research on the m$ site blames this on third party venders. See http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q260199for details. I have not found a solution the only workaround is a reboot.
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

That's a strange one. Did you just install a new program recently? Just out of curiousty, why doesn't your corporate workplace want to use sp6? If you've changed hardware or applied any new programs, you might want to start by re-applying sp5