Thread: Windows XP

Windows XP

In the older versions of windows there is the cached .pwl files in the windows folder. Does Windows XP generate those .pwl files as well? or is there also a option to turn it on/off
    -[h3llbringer] is back, again.
    -MSN CLoNE.

Windows XP is closer to NT. Creates profiles. I set-up a winxp box at home, I remember an option where you could turn off the login in locally feature. Which is really all a pwl file holds. Local password to the machine. Sorry I can't remember where that option is, but I know there is one.
    I'm sure someone else here will know that.

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    Windows Xp does not create pwl files. The network for windows xp has been totally reformed.
    Instead of having a Network icon in the control panel, and sharing all the network components with all the dialers, it installs a tcp/ip and dialup adapter for each dial up connection. Which eliminates the AOL/other ISP error. AOL Binded TCP/IP to the AOL Dial up adapter. Hindering any other ISP's from being installed.
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

XP does generate *.pwl files, but theyr keep hidden; c:\windows\pwls\*.pwl
    But the passwords are only decrypted there i think, all the passwords are keept in a file called sam or sam._

I'll have to look into that, but I have found traces of addresses to c:\windows\pwls\noia.pwl in diff files, but I havnt found it yet...

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Uhmm... I checked that out....There is no PWLS folder in the Windows directory.
    Also I checked it out in DOS, seeing if Windows was hiding the folder from me. However, NO pwl no nothing like that. Dunno man....maybe you have windows Xp 'Special' Edition.....

my mommy says I'm special

THC/IP Version 4.2

ok charlie.
    It must be them again. Start the response cycle.

Originally posted here by Dr Toker
    Uhmm... I checked that out....There is no PWLS folder in the Windows directory.
    Also I checked it out in DOS, seeing if Windows was hiding the folder from me. However, NO pwl no nothing like that. Dunno man....maybe you have windows Xp 'Special' Edition.....

my mommy says I'm special
    I'm not even sure myself. I have used XP since beta. I have always used XP Pro or XP Pro Corp versions with NTFS file system and deployed EFS. So it may have something to do with the XP Home version with FAT 32. I'll have to poke into this myself. I know that XP Home is very insecure by default. It installs with FAT32, auto login, and admin account at boot by default. Also it's vunerable to NTFS DOS booting from a floppy. So far I have'nt had an oppertunity to have to gain access to an XP Pro system. I have entered many NT and several Win2000 and a couple or three XP Home systems. I may have to break down and try to h4x0r my own machine to see how XP Pro fares.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Oh my gawd the vunerabililties by default windows xp setup. Not only do you have the Windows Messenger/Remote assistence exploit....but you also have the .VBS .VBE set to open these files with windows base. Also File and Printer sharing is turned on......I love Bill Gates...
    He seems to be set on making the average Hacker 7 and a half years of age.

THC/IP Version 4.2

would that be up from 6 and a half with the win95 days?
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.