Thread: Brutus?

Question Brutus?

hey there,
    What can anyone tell me about brutus, I mean anything, what address to use to dial up? how it works? can it screw me over? anything?
    thanx
    Truetownie2296

-Be aware that a halo has only fall a few inches to become a noose.......

Re: Brutus?

Originally posted here by truetownie2296
    hey there,
    What can anyone tell me about brutus, I mean anything, what address to use to dial up? how it works? can it screw me over? anything?
    Well it atempts to snag passwords from a logged in or on host (hence the "online" in the description of the program) so to speak. It does not "dial up". As far as address, you need the IP address of the target. In other words you need a "live internet connection to do it remotely or a live intranet (connected to a LAN etc...) to do it localy. Can it screw you over. YES! Apparently you are not to akind to TCP/IP knowlege, so I would'nt try it till you brush up some. When you connect to the remote host, unless you know what you're doing. They can and will see you and your IP. A quik phone call to your ISP and a search of the dial-up logs and you're busted. Bye, bye internet and possible criminal charges.

Go here for program info: http://www.hoobie.net/brutus/brutus-faq.html
    Go here for TCP/IP tut: http://www.sangoma.com/fguide.htm
    Noobie hacking: http://revenger21.freeyellow.com/GUIDES.HTM
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Are you talking about Brutus as in the Brute Force password cracker??

Hey Sonic.

Originally posted here by s0nIc
    Are you talking about Brutus as in the Brute Force password cracker??
    By looking at his other posts. I see what he wants. He has his eye on an email account. Brutus can use two .bad files that will trunticate smtp verify and recipient. Then try to sniff out the passwords. So he needs the IP of his target and wants to try and run it on their machine. I suppose he figures the person runs a mail server or he can get their mail from the persons ISP before they DL it. He's looks like he's fixin to get in a whole heap of trouble from looking at his questions and knowlege. Who knows? Thats my guess from looking at all the posts and the senario.

PS: Here is the progy he's talking about: http://www.hoobie.net/brutus/
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

based on this thead and the other threads by true townie.... looks to me like he is really trying to get himself into a hell of a lot of trouble. my advice... don't do it. esp since you don't understand it. if you really think it is necessary to do illegal activity, i'm not going to try to convince you other wise (even though it is stupid to go to jail for this... cause what could you possible get out of it anyway.) but if you must do it. at least wait till you have some knowledge. and i don't mean knowledge by asking other people how to do it. i mean, go look it up. learn to do what you want to do inside and out, only then should you try it.

hmm.... i downloaded myself this prog,what is it capable of?i don't really see it but nothing more than a script kiddie.....
    words of Merlin

hmm.... i downloaded myself this prog,what is it capable of?i don't really see it but nothing more than a script kiddie.....
    words of Merlin