just an idea

Thread: just an idea

Banned

just an idea

hey u have a quick reply function how bout a quick new post function just cause 56k is slow on ao hehe no offense to ur quite capable servers but loading this page takes a while and if you want a new thread withougt smilies or such its just quicker
    well thanks for listning
    RiOtEr
    Share on Google+

But where would this 'quick new post' be located? If it were in each thread, people might quickly type some text, hit submit and accidently start a new thread when they were just trying to post a reply.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester
    Share on Google+

Re: just an idea

Originally posted here by RiOtEr
    just cause 56k is slow on ao hehe no offense to ur quite capable servers

Slow? What an under statement!

My pet annoyance is when I haven't logged on for a while and then I get the time to come back to AO and have a look through all the previous posts.....I find one that catches my attention and click on it. Now, maybe a minute later the page will eventually load. After that I have to "expand all" threads which takes another minute or so. After reading the thread I than repeat the process all over again.....and again....and again....Quite time consuming..

At the same time I don't think that any more site changes should take place for the time being....The only solution I can see is for us poor 56k modem users is to upgrade to cable/broadband......
    Share on Google+

Banned
    After that I have to "expand all" threads which takes another minute or so

just go into "edit site" on the home page and uncheck "contract posts you've already read. that should help.

as for the new thread idea, i think it would be great to put a box right underneath the one i'm using now and have the thread put into the forum that you are in.
    Share on Google+

Loading pages does take some time, I find that it's a good idea to open 3/4 windows containing AO then I can be replying to a post (which doesn't use up any bandwidth whilst I'm typing) and let a huge thread download in the background in another window. This isn't really making AO any faster, but it gives the impression that it is.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.
    Share on Google+

Banned
    hehe hot_ice no it would be in the main page where u see all the posts their are just near the new thread button then they cant mix it up?! just and idea as i said
    and well its not to bad here for me but still soooo slow lol well
    cya
    RiOtEr
    Share on Google+

JP removed the New thread -button some while ago since people were clicking it by accident... I'd like to see it next to the "Show a Printable Version | Email This Page to Someone! | Subscribe to This Thread" line, as a text version instead of the previous big graphical icon...
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25
    Share on Google+

As for the forum to post the new thread to, that's nothing a quick php loop generating a select box containing all the forum names couldn't handle.
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

Share on Google+

Banned
    Greetings All:

Well, the site layout as it is now, was designed to help stop confusion that many of our newly registered users seem to face.

As such, I don't see a "quick new thread" feature anytime soon.

As for speed issues, we are well aware of those, and have slowly been in the process of trying to speed things up a bit. Just keep in mind that speed is something we will be working on, and hope to improve as time goes on.

Thanks for the suggestions!

thread closed.
    Share on Google+