Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hack

Originally posted here by gold eagle
    p2p - just wondering if the detergent should be something like armor-all or would basic dish soap be okay.
    I use Joy liquid for the most part. It leaves less of a film....
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

p2p, I thought I would test some of our primary servers to see if they were vulnerable to a buffer overflow.

I strictly followed your instructions, and even though the internal hardware polished up quite nicely, the server is now not working, and now people are looking to me for answers?

What should I do so I dont get
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

Originally posted here by SoggyBottom
    p2p, I thought I would test some of our primary servers to see if they were vulnerable to a buffer overflow.

I strictly followed your instructions, and even though the internal hardware polished up quite nicely, the server is now not working, and now people are looking to me for answers?

What should I do so I dont get
    Well you have to use a high quality sponge. Not a $.99 job from the local dime store. Also you have to let the sucker air dry or throw it in a maytag dryer. Works great for me.

Anyway. Sorry for the rant. But we have a bad problem with a few certain people returning with nick changes afeter being banned. Just look at some older threads and you'll understand the reason for the reply I made about the buffer overflows. Give the group a chance. I help when I can. I will NOT however help someone crash a server etc... Just try to undrstand. Thats why I did'nt give lobstertails antipoints. That way they can research the posts as well as mine before they judge. I'm just s little pissed right now because of some of the BS the Oblio types and such are posting.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Wow!! Did I come into this thread too late, or what????

buffer overflow exploit=non-trivial exploit=far too time consuming=my opinion
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Sorry for joining this thread late...I was reading some other threads.

Question for P2P...Is Dawn detergent okay as well? It does take grease out of the way. The box does get greasy when it is covered in dust. I have clients asking me the best way to keep their computer clean, and I didn't think to tell them to use Joy.

:-))
    \"No matter where you go,
    there you are.\"

str34m3r
    Apocalypse, I don't know where you get off telling people to use Joy detergent. I think maybe you have it in for us newbies. I've tried Joy once before and I had nothing but problems with it. You obviously haven't done your research. Clinical studies have shown time and time again that Palmolive is at least 30% more effective than Joy at killing germs and viruses on motherboards.

Just IMHO -- very humble, since I'm quite new here -- writing in general about how buffer overflow attacks work is not going to help some 5kr1pt k1DD1d3 to bring about havoc and mayhem ... the task just requires too much programming knowledge and skill. Script Kiddies use pre-made code to do the hard part for them, anyway. On the other hand, knowledge of the principles behind things like buffer overflows is important for people interested in security, and especially for programmers who want to write good secure code. I don't know what revanthn's motivation is, nor do i care. I wrote my response knowing that it's not script-kiddie food, and any increase in understanding it may have helped cause in revanthn or anyone else is a good thing.

Sorry if this is getting off-topic

Flaming is much easier than sharing your knowledge or for some people, flaming is the only way which they think hides their empty brains...
    revanthn's question is a really good one, and absolutely requires no flaming.
    Try, Fail but Do iT at last!
    ASA The ZeroTimeR
    The Turkish IT Documentation Project

Has anyone tried bleech? I know it sounds harsh, but it is very effective? Maybe a 1 part in 10 solution?
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

I like PenguiN's approach. If it were a bad question and needed flaming...fine...flame. But how useless is it that MOST OF THE THREAD is about detergent. I mean it is funny...but I'd rather read what PenguiN42 wrote (which I learned alot I might add) then a bunch of jokes. A joke isn't bad...but I hate having to look through dozens of messages to find the good ones. P2P initial comment was funny..........but there are way too many people trying to kiss his a$$ for antipoints.

Let a joke be a joke, and keep these threads intuitive.
    Thank you penguiN42, you give me reason to keep reading
    SlackWare my first, Debian my second....building my box into the ultimate weapon