34. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

20 58.82%
  • yes

14 41.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Searches

Top 10 Searches

I just noticed that in the search forums page, JP has now added the 'Last 10 Searches Made By AntiOnline Users'. I think it's a good addition, but I just have a suggestion to alter it.

- What if it was the 'Top 10 ranked searches' - meaning that if a topic was searched 5 times, it would be ahead of something that was searched 4 times...you get what I mean...damn, I hate when I can't exactly explain it - but I think you should know by 'Top 10'. Just making sure. (Count could be reset after each week/month or not reset at all)

- Also, that each of these 'Top 10 ranked searches' were links so that when you click them, a search for the words is actually performed. So that if, for example, you see in position number three 'Firewall' - you think...yup, I wanna search that, rather then typing in 'Firewall' (which takes time!!! ), you can click the word 'Firewall' and the search is performed.

Anyways, tell us what you think.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester
    Share on Google+

Good idea, anything that saves time will get my vote
    If you don\'t learn the rules nobody can accuse of cheating.
    Share on Google+

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Ummm, it doesn't really take that long to type "Firewall" but....

I know what you mean, you want a Top 10 searches, not Recent 10 searches. Actually, this could be a pretty good idea. Actually, what about a top10 page. IT could have top10 searches, top10 posts to 1 thread, top10 antipoints, top10 posters, top10 pageviews, top10 ranked posts.....etc etc. Could make for some interesting statistics....Even a !top10 from irc....Wait, that last one isn't a good idea. But maybe the rest of them.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman
    Share on Google+

Yeah, I know it doesn't take long to type 'firewall' in the search button, that's why I had the smiley face there, I was just thinking that if you have listed popular searches, why not create a link to search for em? It just seems logical and it isn't hard to implement.

Also, I think that have a !top10 in IRC...

As for the others, I dunno, I kinda get what ya mean, but you'd have to elaborate. Some could be good, but others not really - such as the top10 posters, cos we have this originally, but people didn't like it - so JP took it off.

Greg
    -- William Forrester
    Share on Google+

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    i like fire
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2
    Share on Google+

SOunds like a great idea.. especially like the whole top10 page thing
    Share on Google+

Actually, you can still quite easily get the top 10 posters if you go to the Member's list ... there is a button for it ... although today, it changed to the Top 25

A top 10 of threads with the most antipoints could be nice ... it would give you a quick idea of good threads to read.

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule
    Share on Google+

soudns like it could work
    Share on Google+

I like statistics/lists...
    Top10 searches list would be rather uninteresting since it wouldn't change very much over the time...
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25
    Share on Google+

Top10 searches list would be rather uninteresting since it wouldn't change very much over the time
    The way it is now will change more then what I'm suggesting. Everytime something is searched for, it chaces, but what I'm suggesting is to change it depending on a ranking system, so it would only change when one phrase is searched for more times then another, overtaking it in the top 10 list.

Greg
    -- William Forrester
    Share on Google+