Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security Certifications

Security Certifications

I have tried to post this 3 times now. Let's see if it works. I would like to get certified in some area of security. All I've heard about is the CISSP. But to get this cert, you need at least 3 years of experience in the field. Are there any certs I could study for and take now?

Talking ya..

I was wondering the same thing. I'll be watching this thread closely. I'm sure many of the people here know of or are certified in many things.

SANS? Their certs are expensive but I don't believe they have pre-requisites like that.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Enterasys and cisco have certs. Sun will be rolling out a cert soon in this area and so will ibm.
    novell already has one. Check around but be warned the prices are stiff.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

http://www.antionline.com/certifications.php

this might help a bit...

IchNiSan

More important than certification is knowledge acquisition and experience. The 3 year requirement for CISSP is not unreasonable considering the breadth of information that is required.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=
    Noah built the ark BEFORE it rained.

http://ld.net/?rn

More important than certification is knowledge acquisition and experience. The 3 year requirement for CISSP is not unreasonable considering the breadth of information that is required.
    Noah built the ark BEFORE it rained.

http://ld.net/?rn

ISC^2 also has another cert other than the CISSP....I believe it is the SSCP or something like that. I kow the requirements are not as high and it is related more to the technical aspects of security where as the CISSP is more the management level.

I have personally taken the Cisco and Checkpoint Cert exams, and both are highly recommended.

Those 3 years of experience is there for a reason. I've seen people who know very little about computers write practice exams for a few weeks then go get a few certs, three years adds creditably.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Some of you appear to have taken what I said about the 3 years of experience as a bad thing. I'm not saying it's bad to require that or anything, but before I can get into anything dealing with security, I need a cert that shows I know the basics at least, so that I can get in. Then I can gain the 3 years required for the CISSP. Otherwise, I can't even get the 3 years of experience.