Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNN In Depth Special HACKERS

CNN In Depth Special HACKERS

From CNN, Insurgency on the Internet. This is a look at the culture and subculture of the hacker. White, grey, and black hat types. It even goes into the realm of what they coin as extreme hacking, corperations that are training their own inhouse hackers and training in the ways of the hacker. From what I have read of this series so far. It looks like "hacking" may be comming around full circle and into the mainstream with a different outlook. The corperate types are wanting to h4x0r now. LOL. Works for me if it makes them realize that we in the IT security industry needs to be taken seriously to ensure the integrity of the systems we maintain. Maybe they will listen to us if the word gets out and more companys take a step back and see what we realy do.

Anyway here is a link to the site. It's a very nice piece in several sections.
    http://www.cnn.com/TECH/specials/hackers/
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

wow.. i wish this link was spread around the world.. so everybody would know..

probably the only reason i can find why people think "hackers" are bad is beacuse they are scared of what "hackers" can potentially do..
    same reasons why having a gun is bad or good.. its bad coz it can kill someone.. its good coz it might save lives.. its just a matter on who is using that powerful weapon..

IMO,
    People are just terified of what they do not understand, and hackers have been branded the underground people, no one wants to understand us.
    \"To follow the path:
    look to the master,
    follow the master,
    walk with the master,
    see through the master,
    become the master.\"
    -Unknown

thank the media and obnoxious ppl who want to screw things up! hey, i hope ppl come around. my computer teacher was teaching us about "hackers" and handed us papers that said
    hackers were ppl who are out to destroy. the next day, i told her i disagree, i told her why ppl think hackers are bad, and i showed her a book i have that teaches about hacking. it's a book
    called "A Complete Hackers Handbook". i showed her the parts where it tells about the history. i even explained the difference b/w white, black, and grey hat.
    she has nothing against what i know about; i'm still in her class, and we get along well. sometimes i have to correct some mistakes on papers she hands out. so, i guess there is still hope!
    D. J.

AFAIK that's not a very recent special... I recall seeing it months ago.

I think the emphasis should be on "Secure your machines, government!" rather than "Deny everyone the right to access the internet or practice fundemental rights of privacy."
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Originally posted here by Terr
    I think the emphasis should be on "Secure your machines, government!" rather than "Deny everyone the right to access the internet or practice fundemental rights of privacy."
    Well said. Although it appears that it's easier and more cost effective to deny access to the good guys rather than secure against the bad guys. It reminds me of the Australian gun control laws. It was decided that anyone in possession of high powered, automatic and semi automatic weapons would face a lengthy prison term. There was a 6 month amnesty where owners could turn them in without fear of prosecution. All this new law did was limit law abiding citizens access to such weapons. People such as gun enthusiasts, farmers etc now aren't allowed to own such weapons whilst the criminals who use them still have access and don't give a damn about new gun laws... Anyway, I'm getting a little off topic....

Australian media's "in depth hacking review" was a 10 minute special on NetBus! Even an out of date Norton will catch NetBus!

Well, I would certainly agree when it comes to automatic weapons! IMO there is no justifiable personal legal need for an assault rifle or submachine gun, unless you happen to wander into a Jurassic Park episode. Perhaps exeptions would exist in gun clubs, etc, but I can't see a realistic reason for Mr. Suburbanite to own something like that.

You know, regarding the new bills/acts and all... I'm glad there are people who don't agree with the USA. Crippled/Government-trojaned hardware? Pah! I'll just buy a motherboard made it Taiwan WITHOUT any little super-sneaky-anti-1st-amendment chip!
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

hmm so far the ONLY good documentary i saw in TV about hackers was this:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/hackers/

that site/page was based on the documentary they aired on TV few months ago.. i taped it, at first i didnt really liked it coz it didnt TEACH me how to break in to things but as i keep on watching it, i finally start to realize what the documenatry is about and started to like it coz i finally see the message.. its basically about security, how secure/vulnerable we are. and what can people contribute to make the internet more secure. they had interviews from both side of the govt and hackers alike.. mad documentary..

Good read...The best part was in the timeline

Two hackers are sentenced to death by a court in China for breaking into a bank computer
    network and stealing 260,000 yuan ($31,400).

China dont mess around
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!