Taking phone calls while online
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking phone calls while online

Question Taking phone calls while online

Hi people. Just curious, are there any programs or tricks out there that would enable me to know if someone called me on the phone while I was online? Just knowing who called up would be great. Thanks for any help.

i think our telco offers some service like that...you pay about 5 bucks a month...dl some softs and when you get a call...you get a pop up with caller id...etc..never used it though...i gots cable
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Just use voicemail?

Voicemail

Well yeah, I could use voicemail. But I just wanted to see whether there was any way of doing it yourself, with some software. I can't figure it out. There's nothing out there.

Actually there is a free on you can download, and it answers the call, and they leave a voice message that plays on your puter so you can hear it, then determine whether to get offline and call them back...I wish I could think of the name. You have to activate something with your phone company to forward all your calls, it's like three bucks a month.
    I'm going to search for a few minutes and see if I can't find the website.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Okay, I just went to AOL (no crap please) and searched for internet call waiting--I got 1-10 of 1926798....think you can probably find something if you really wanted....all of the first page were also freeware....
    Good Luck!
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

V.92 modems will include a call waiting detection which will allow you to put your modem on hold and answer, now, a few ISPs support that though :|

I have ISDN (2 lines) and cable, so no problems with this kinda thing for me..

Also, ISDN supports running your own voicemail programm on ur computer like this:

"Good (morning,day,afternoon) you are connected to the JinXes voice mail"
    "Press 1 if you have a message for the JinX"
    "Press 2 if you have a message for YOSD"
    etc

and the soft will make an mp3 of the message and send it to ur mailbox..

Realy easy and nice...
    Just can't find a url right now...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

dpwes, I noticed your location is Australia, I'm in Australia as well, so I think I'll be able to help you with this one well, cos I have had what you are inquiring about.

I am on a 56K dial-up connection and about a year or two ago, Telstra had this trial offer where you could be on the internet, but also be able to receive incoming calls on the same line. They did this using NetMeeting. You cannot simply have netmeeting and be able to do it, you have to go thru Telstra and request the service. I no longer have it, as I was just one of the people who tried it during the 'trial period', now I think it's like $5 a day or something, like Zigar said.

When I was using it, I was actually quite happy with it. When someone calls, it's exactly like receiving an incoming call in netmeeting. It rings, you click answer and talk thru your microphone (obviously you need a microphone and speakers).

Well anyways, it's called Telstra iCall Waiting and you can find all the info you want here:
    http://telstra.com/comms/icallwaiting/default.asp

Hope this helps,
    Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

I use a "catch a call" it's a small box (I purchased it online but don't have a link handy, try searching for it...I've also seen it in Fred Meyers) You plug your phone, answering machine, call waiting box, and even fax machine into ports on the box.
    When you're online and someone calls you have the option of answering the phone, which puts your internet connection on hold for up to 60 seconds...if you haven't returned to your internet connection within 60 seconds it terminates your connection so it's not left open. If you subscribe to call waiting caller Id through your phone company you can even see who is calling before you decide to answer.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.