burning cd's thru a LAN

Thread: burning cd's thru a LAN

Question burning cd's thru a LAN

hi peeps,
    ive got just a quick question about burning over a LAN ( 2 computers at home)
    im wondering if it is advisable or if i should move the data first then burn it?

the 2 computers i have are cyrix 333mhz, 64 meg ram, win '95 with 40 speed cd drive 10/100 lan card

the computer with the burner is a p-3 667, 256 meg ram, windoze XP pro and a 24 speed burner, the cd's can only handle 16 speed though, ive burnt some stuff from the p3 already at 8 speed with 84-95 % write buffer and 98% read buffer.

do you think 8 speed is ok or would i be able to do 12 or 16?

also how fast would i be able to burn over the LAN if it is advisable at all?

thanx in advance

Well, I wouldn't advise it...
    but if your gonna do it, burn as slow as your prepared to go....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Burning thrue a lan is possible.
    Most burn progs cache the files on your local pc before burning anyway.

And I think a 100Mbps network is fast enough to make it work propperly..
    Just be sure to use burnproof or simmilar stuff to prevent buffer under runs in case of a glitch in ur network...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

It might not be a good idea, unless you cache the data, which is pretty much the same as just copying it to you local HD... My network is slow, and my CD-RW is refusing to work with some CDs (My drive is 2 - 3.5 years old), so I can't do that stuff... Oh, and it should be possible to burn a CD with just one drive (I think), the program will copy it to the HD, get u to put in the blank disk, then put it on there...

-Tim_axe

ok thanks for the advice, i think i'll just copy the data acros first to be safe, i was sorta thinkin about doin that anyway but i was lookin for shortcuts so thats life

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Hey, you can burn CD's over the LAN, I have done that before, even at 12 speed (burnproof) ... but like said: it's not advisable.
    For instance: I had errors due to a virusscanner that interrupted the transfers... my advice copy the data and burn from local media.

It can be done, but it's not advisable, at least not on a larger LAN.

As was stated above, you would most likely want to cache the data prior to burning, which is essentially the same as copying the files over locally.

If anything interferes or interrupts the data flow as the burner is writing, you just created a nice shiny coaster. =)

Yeah, you don't want to have someone trip over a cord at the last moment and cause the whole burn job to be wrecked because it couldn't get the data in a timely manner. If you are going to burn over the network (say you have a small business with some dedicated-burner machine), it would still be best to have a caching system.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

disable your scr saver on the burn box
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.