Thread: Proxy through LAN's

Proxy through LAN's

I am trying to connect through a proxy, with multiproxy. My computer is not the home computer (where cable connects, i dunno what its techinically called) so I am feeding off the other computers connection. Do I have to install MultiProxy on that machine and then set it up to use proxies on my WAN ip? or do I use 127.0.0.1? Is there a way to set it up on my computer so that only I am connecting through a proxy? Any input or links appreciated.
    \"Welcome to the real world...it sucks. Your gunna love it.\'\"

Ok I am not sure I understood correctly, but it seems you have a machine with the cable access, let's call this one the gateway. You have a client machine, and you want to access stuff with it through the gateway. Use the gateway's internal network IP (something like 192.168.xx.xx)

If you want to connect to the Internet from your workstation through the server. Should you first set up "multiproxy" on your server and then set the ip-adress in "multiproxy" to the ip of your servers internal network interface. If you only have one network interface in your server (external) then you have to be aware of that you then are exposing the "multiproxy" for the whole world since "mutiproxy" not has any authorization system.

In other words other people may be able to use your computer as a public proxy.

The public proxy thing actually sounds like it would be cool. Assuming that the feds didnt have to trace a hacker through my computer after he used my proxy to attack http://www.whitehouse.gov/ and assuming it didnt get too popular and eats up all my bandwidth. would it be a terrible thing to have a public proxy running on off my network? Also to stop people from connecting to the proxy couldnt i just disable incoming ip addresses on the port my proxy connected through? 8080 or whatever it may be?
    \"Welcome to the real world...it sucks. Your gunna love it.\'\"