Thread: Worm/virri

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man

Question Worm/virri

I just had a few questions concerning cerian virri. I have ALOT of knowledge on how the Trojan Virri infects and controls the PC. Maybe a little too much understanding of this.However I seem to be in the dark about all these Worms going around, using Outlook Express, ect to spread their evilness.What security, holes do these worms create. Simply because they replicate themselves, does that make them a worm? I guess it prolly varys from worm to worm as far as how much damage is done to the system, but I would like a breif breakdown of these Worm Virri. Thank yu
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

Some information from the tutorial section -> E5C4P3 Post

v_Ln

worm n.

[from `tapeworm' in John Brunner's novel "The Shockwave Rider", via XEROX PARC] A program that propagates itself over a network, reproducing itself as it goes. Compare virus. Nowadays the term has negative connotations, as it is assumed that only crackers write worms. Perhaps the best-known example was Robert T. Morris's Great Worm of 1988, a `benign' one that got out of control and hogged hundreds of Suns and VAXen across the U.S. See also cracker, RTM, Trojan horse, ice.
    LATER-

Source from HAckers Jargon and the HAckers dictionary
    virus n.

[from the obvious analogy with biological viruses, via SF] A cracker program that searches out other programs and `infects' them by embedding a copy of itself in them, so that they become Trojan horses. When these programs are executed, the embedded virus is executed too, thus propagating the `infection'. This normally happens invisibly to the user. Unlike a worm, a virus cannot infect other computers without assistance. It is propagated by vectors such as humans trading programs with their friends (see SEX). The virus may do nothing but propagate itself and then allow the program to run normally. Usually, however, after propagating silently for a while, it starts doing things like writing cute messages on the terminal or playing strange tricks with the display (some viruses include nice display hacks). Many nasty viruses, written by particularly perversely minded crackers, do irreversible damage, like nuking all the user's files.

In the 1990s, viruses have become a serious problem, especially among IBM PC and Macintosh users; the lack of security on these machines enables viruses to spread easily, even infecting the operating system (Unix machines, by contrast, are immune to such attacks). The production of special anti-virus software has become an industry, and a number of exaggerated media reports have caused outbreaks of near hysteria among users; many lusers tend to blame everything that doesn't work as they had expected on virus attacks. Accordingly, this sense of `virus' has passed not only into techspeak but into also popular usage (where it is often incorrectly used to denote a worm or even a Trojan horse). See phage; compare back door; see also Unix conspiracy.
    LATER-

Type: Virus
    A program or code that replicates, that is infects another program, boot sector, partition sector or document that supports macros by inserting itself or attaching itself to that medium. Most viruses just replicate, a lot also do damage.

Type: Worm
    A program that makes copies of itself, for example from one disk drive to another, or by copying itself using email or some other transport mechanism. It may do damage and compromise the security of the computer. It may arrive in the form of a joke program or software of some sort.

Type: Virus
    A program or code that replicates, that is infects another program, boot sector, partition sector or document that supports macros by inserting itself or attaching itself to that medium. Most viruses just replicate, a lot also do damage.

Type: Worm
    A program that makes copies of itself, for example from one disk drive to another, or by copying itself using email or some other transport mechanism. It may do damage and compromise the security of the computer. It may arrive in the form of a joke program or software of some sort.

This is not from me, I am quoting another user here on AntiOnline, unfortunately, I didn't print their user ID when I printed the definition out!!

Okay--here goes

WORM stands for Write Once, Read Many. It is a program who's sole task is to SPREAD and Multiply and NOT damage the system.

If this is your quote I am using sorry, I didn't have your user ID....Please feel free to take credit!
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

This is not from me, I am quoting another user here on AntiOnline, unfortunately, I didn't print their user ID when I printed the definition out!!

Okay--here goes

WORM stands for Write Once, Read Many. It is a program who's sole task is to SPREAD and Multiply and NOT damage the system.

If this is your quote I am using sorry, I didn't have your user ID....Please feel free to take credit!
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Okay, in my previous post I was quoting s0nic....

And if you are interested, this is the post, it was very enlightening to me....
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...941#post468941

Hope it helps!!

Okay, in my previous post I was quoting s0nic....

And if you are interested, this is the post, it was very enlightening to me....
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...941#post468941

Hope it helps!!