should hackers jailed?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: should hackers jailed?

should hackers jailed?

i think this is worth posting...i hope it is

http://msn.com.com/2100-1107-852767.html

Should hackers be jailed: I really feel that this depends on the crime. If damage is done that harms someone, then yes some kind of punishment should occur. Should it be jail? I guess that depends on the person's criminal history and how damaging the crime was. As this article has mentioned, I think in a lot of cases hackers are younger kids looking for a quick thrill, and think they won't get caught. I think that in most cases if this youngin gets caught, then gets some fines along with some community service he will then realize he isn't invincible and won't be doing his malicious hacking anytime soon again. If the person has a criminal history, and continues to do harm by hacking then yes it should lead to jail eventually... Not because he is hakcing, but because he is causing harm to someone or something.

Should ISPs be held responsible for users actions? No they should not! You don't hold the phone company responsible for crime that is organized through telephone conversations. The ISPs are not doing anything wrong, and SHOULD NOT be held responsible. period. If the ISP is working with the person knowingly causing some kind of damage, that is another story. But if someone is causing trouble using the ISPs services, and the ISP is unaware of the illegal activity, then NO they should NOT be held responsible.

Those are my thoughts. What does everyone else think?
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

if its malicious, yes, if no damage was done, and the people that are hacked are told how to fix things, then no.

I agree if you hack a system and tell the people in charge how you did it and how to fix it then they should thank you. If you screw something up thatís a different story.

If hacking is defined as breaking into a computer system to which you do not have access I definetly think hacking should be punishable. Wether to send people to jail or not should depend on the circumstances.

Often access is restricted due to the nature of the data. If the data is sensitive I think the hacker shouldn do some time. If information is edited or stolen the hacker should *always* go to jail.

So in general, hackers should always be punished for their trespassing and sent to jail if they fiddle around while trespassing.

I think it is naive to say that you should thank hackers that let you know of their weaknesses.
    It's like saying that you should thank people that wake you up in the middle of the night, in your own bedrom, for pointing out that your locks can easily be picked.

But that is just my two cents
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

I'm starting to get tired of hearing the famous "breaking into a house is the same as breaking into a computer system" analogy.

Consider this, someone is walking up the street. They notice a key on the ground next to someone's parked car. The person picks up the key, put's it in the key hole of the car and sees that the key is clearly the owner of that car's. He doesn't steal the car, he doesn't open the car door, he just checks to make sure that the key fit's the key hole. He then takes the key, knocks on the person's door and say "Hey, here's your key". Sure he tried the key on the car. So does this person deserve to be charged for touching that person's property? In my opinion, he did the right thing.

When a computer is vulnerable 99% of the time, the only way to confirm this is to see if you can access the system. It is the same as testing the key.

Notifying someone that you found their car key is one thing, stealing the car radio is another. So what if you checked to make sure the key fit the hole. You didn't hurt anyone, you didn't steal anything, and you helped the person by telling them they dropped their key. If anything you just saved them from the head aches of getting their car stolen.

If your intentions are good, and nothing was hurt then you should be getting praised for responsibly notifying the system admin.

I have found major flaws in web sites. I came across a web site that had a directly listing of all their databases in the /database/ directory of their web site. Now did I break the law by simply going to the /database/ directoy of their web site using IE? Did I notify the company about this flaw? Hell No... I bet they would love to know, but because of all this "you go to jail stuff" I'm not risking my ass to tell them. I didn't hurt anything, but yes I did access that directory listing. No hacking was involved, only pointing your browser to a directory.

Where do we draw the line at what should be punished and what shouldn't? Again, to me it seems if your intentions are good, and you did not hurt anything, then you should be praised for notifying the web master responsibly of the flaw in their system.

Does that make me a terrorist?

You have to consider the time and expense of fixing the damage caused by so called "hackers"....that kinda cost can sky-rocket quickly. Even if all you do is look around, it can cost the company quite a tidy sum...

Now did you mean to cost them money? No.... Should they have had better security up there? Maybe.... But you still stuck your nose where it wasn't welcome, so if they had to spend money, you need to pay it... IMHO
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

jcmcb, yes, of course... If you cost them money or cause them damage then you get what you have coming to you.

But if no damage is done, and you didn't cost them anything, and something so simple as having directory browsing enabled is found... Should you get in trouble for notifying the company? Having directory browsing enabled for a database directory is chaos waiting to happen.

I would be extemely happy if someone notifyed me of this before someone downloads the databases and use my customer's credit cards. That's why I say "where is the line drawn".

In a society where people are getting sued for giving someone the heimlic (sp?) manuver to save their life, but in the process accidently hurting them... I choose to keep my mouth shut about what I find.

compleatly agreed. Keep my mouth shut.

how does it cause the company money if you diddent do anything. all it makes them do if fix what they shouldhave in the first place.